XP and Norton 08 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

a rock lobsta

Baseband Member
A buddy of mine just updated his av to Norton 08 on an XP machine. Now the computer will not start windows. It goes to the boot select screen, safe mode, w/networking, etc. and none of these will get windows going. I even tried returning to last good config but it still will not start. any ideas?

What happens when you try to boot into Windows? Does the computer freeze, automatically restart, or display a stop error message?

It doesn't look good I'm afraid. Seems like your friend will have to re-install Windows.

it flashes a blue screen real quick. i cant see it to make out if it gives an error code, which im sure it does. it then goes right back into the boot screen. safe mode, good config, etc. If I repair it that should copy over the corrupt file right. I am guessing its a reg. file corrupted.

It could be just a corrupted Registry file. Could be worse. With Norton you never know. Norton is notorious for destroying Windows Installs.

Try the repair first. See if that gets you anywhere.

Have you tried SYSTEM RESTORE to the last possible restore point you have? Norton bites so hard this actually works, lol

NOTE: The following may be but is not limited to: Opinion

Otherwise, I don't know how to fix this problem at the moment, but I DO know that Norton Bites hard! I have hacked Norton and McAfe so many times I couldn't count them if I wanted to. If you want proof of how crappy Norton is I can post a video or EVEN I can give you MY Backdoor program I created using Visual Basic 6 and let you hack it yourself, lol

KASPERSKY!!!!!!!!! THE BEST AND ONLY working ANTI-VIRUS Software!

This is one software anti-virus program that is virtually un-hackable!

Note: AVG changed it's name to Kaspersky a long time ago and Kaspersky owns it even though it is still good software.

Email: Stealth_Tools@hotmail.com

Other Note: I created my program and the systems I hacked are MY OWN computers I set up to learn more about hacking so that I could better protect myself from threats :)

Matter of opinion ;). I think Nod32 is one of the best, but Kaspersky, AVG, and Avast! are all up there, as well.

Anyway...to the OP's problem. I agree with Dave, you could try to do a repair install, which could fix the problem. Then get rid of norton (google the Norton Removal Tool; I never trust the Add/REmove programs way, stuff still gets left behind).

This is one software anti-virus program that is virtually un-hackable!
First Kaspersky is not the best and it definately not the only working Anti-Virus out there. So please if you want to share your opinion do it correctly. NOD32, AVG, Avast are all great AV's and work better than Kaspersky on many machines. Espically Vista based machiens since Kaspersky crashes on Vista machines. It is by far the only working one. If it was I am sure that AVG, Avast and NOD32 would not be recommended. Considering i got a Virus while running Kaspersky and not NOD32. Your statement is all opinion and not fact.

It is no where near un-hackable. Not even close to it. It is targeted just as much as any other. They do not update their definations as often as they should. NOD32 does this several times a day while Kaspersky is lucky to put out new definations out once a day. Leaving you way open to attack.

So please stop shouting (Using all caps) and stop trying to force your opinion as fact. I could give several examples of AV that is better. To back this up i give you a article from Softpedia showing my remarks of Kaspersky crshing on Vista...

Kaspersky False Positives Quarantine or Kill Windows Explorer in Windows Vista - And Windows XP - Softpedia
^Kaspersky kills explorer.exe in Vista....great app there. Crash the whole system on that one.

Kaspersky Affected by A New Error. Update Recommended! - Non-critical vulnerability in Kaspersky - Softpedia
Kaspersky affected by errors. Yet another prime example of the Best AV out there. :rolleyes:

That is just the couple that i found. So please, again, do not state a opinion as a fact. Thank you.:happy:

Ture. Espically when it was already stated that they tried the last know good config.

I even tried returning to last good config but it still will not start.

So that takes out the system restore option. Leaves the Repair install option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom