new computer for statistical work

Status
Not open for further replies.
you could probably buy a xeon proc if you really wanted to go gung-ho on this setup. There are probably good proc/mobo setups and such that could fit with some overhead in your budget.

Also i wouldn't recommend a TRUE only because it's large and from waht i've heard a little awkward to install, and he doesn't really need really cool temps. I would say, if there are any decent ones, go passive cooling on it, and just have sleevless fans and no led's and you could leave it on 24/7 provided you can keep temps in check and it's completely silent. Thats what i did when i was rendering things and i had a slow proc so i had to leave it on for extended periods of time and it worked wonders.

sleeveless fans? you mean sleeved fans? theres ball-bearing fans and the sleeve type (forget what its exactly called), the sleeve ones make significantly less noise, but move less air

go for a passive cooling system as peter said, however, a core might not be able to be safely cooled by a passive system? try a TRUE without a fan?

you could probably buy a xeon proc if you really wanted to go gung-ho on this setup. There are probably good proc/mobo setups and such that could fit with some overhead in your budget.

Also i wouldn't recommend a Tuniq Tower 120 only because it's large and from waht i've heard a little awkward to install, and he doesn't really need really cool temps. I would say, if there are any decent ones, go passive cooling on it, and just have sleevless fans and no led's and you could leave it on 24/7 provided you can keep temps in check and it's completely silent. Thats what i did when i was rendering things and i had a slow proc so i had to leave it on for extended periods of time and it worked wonders.

I think you got confused by what I said yesterday... ;)

Xeons are for Servers, but some actually do decent in gaming like the x3210, also DDR3 is too pricey to be worth it and, that Scythe is quieter

Buy the Xeon X3210 - its a Q6600 but meant for the type of number crunching you'll be doing. Plus I'm pretty sure the Xeon lines are meant for passive heat sinks - increasing your ability to keep it quiet in your room.

Depending on the size of your room this thing is going to be a heater...thats an argument for the Q9300 and Q9450, less power consumption, less heat dissipated.

What is your budget?

Buy the Xeon X3210 - its a Q6600 but meant for the type of number crunching you'll be doing. Plus I'm pretty sure the Xeon lines are meant for passive heat sinks - increasing your ability to keep it quiet in your room.

Depending on the size of your room this thing is going to be a heater...thats an argument for the Q9300 and Q9450, less power consumption, less heat dissipated.

What is your budget?

jesus you are a genius!

I totally forgot about the xeons... like you said, they are made for more basic functions (lots of code related stuff) and not as well suited for games, if your thinking about playing any decent games, I'd recommend the q6600 over it though

any decent games?
You could play any game with most Xeon processors.

Right now gpus are holding back the fps in the games right now, not cpus.

i recommended a xeon like 6 posts ago tbh... but yeah, and vernon i was just saying because of the awkward thumbscrews on teh tt120 it might not be the best idea for a stat working computer it would just be a hassle and there are far easier hsf's to put on. and the q9xxx series is just a q6xxx series with more l2 cache, faster fsb, and a higher stock clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom