MoBo help.. Choosing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynamo86

Baseband Member
Hi guys, new here and new to computer enthusiasm. Should let you all know I've only every build one comp and that was 4 years ago, so I guess a lot has changed.

I'm building one. I have a Q6600 processor and Corsair XMS CAS 4-4-4-12 800MHz 2 x1GB RAM, 320GB WD HDD AAKS 16MB Cache, Scythe Mine CPU cooler and an ATi 3870HD.

Now my BIG problem is choosing a mobo!! Everywhere I go I get different suggestions - this ones buggy, this ones badly build, this one doesnt OC well etc.

So lets set the record straight. I doub't I'll OC for a while, so that doesn't matter. I want a MoBo that supports all of the above. Imdon;t need DDR3 support. I want a well made one with a decent BIOS.

I have had a few suggestions MSI NEO2-FR (which is my fav atm), Gigabyte DS3R (UK vers.) and the Abit iP35 Dark Raider.

Please help me choose one near enough in this price bracket.

Much appreciated guys, thanks!

Re: MoBo ****.. Choosing..

If you want a cheap but good motherboard, I would suggest the Abit IP35-E. It's actually good at overclocking too.

In the mid-range, I would suggest either the Gigabyte EP35-DS3R or DFI Lanparty DK P35-T2RS. They both have one PCIe x16 slot. But if you're planning on SLI or Crossfire later on, I would suggest MSI P35 Neo2-FR for Crossfire, or the ASUS P5N-D 750i for SLI.

In the high end, Abit IX38 QuadGT for Crossfire, or the EVGA/XFX 780i for SLI.

dynamo86 said:
The Gigabyte is a solid motherboard, and a great overclocker. I have the DS3R, and it's awesome to work with.

i would go for the DS3R also

the reasons been that it has the p35 chipset for one, second i hear its a good overclocker and last it has the slots needed to do any future upgrade's

it just seems to be a all round good mobo for the price

Okay, but what is the difference betwee the GA-P35 DS3R and the EP35 DS3R?

And neither of these boards have any cooling facilities like the one on the MSI.. That's my only concern atm..

The EP35, they put the E in front, for it's energy saver model.

I think you're talking about heatpipes? Well to be honest, they're not that impressive in cooling. As long as the airflow in your case is good, heatpipes is not needed. Mostly to look pretty. But that's not say that the MSI isn't good. I've heard that it is. Anyway, it's your choice. Either motherboard that you pick, from those that were recommended to you, is a fine choice.

I have the DS3R as well, and I love it. It's a very nice board for the money.

Actually the EP now supports 1600FSB for the new top end chips, where as the old p35-ds3 only had 1333 support. If you plan on ever getting a 2nd 3870 for crossfire i suggest getting an x38-ds4.

Another thing...

Seeing as you guys have convinced me, please tell me.. The only thing stopping me from getting the MSI NEO2-FR was the MASSES of complaints and issues about RAM compatiblity due to an old BIOS.

Will I have similar problems with the GA P35 DS3R???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom