Windows Media Player and BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ougrad02

Solid State Member
Currently anytime I try to play a dvd in windows media player I get a Blue screen. If I use another player for dvd playback I have no issues. I'm also not having the issue when playing any pc games. On the blue screen that comes up it says stop 0x000008e and also mentions nv4 disp.dll. In my system I have an 8800gt video card. Any other questions to help with my problem please ask.

Thanks,
Jeff

What version of Windows? WMP 11, 10, or 9 on XP? Likely on XP since 11 in Vista won't play dvds or any other video files.

That's an old NVidia error that saw correction where you may need to only go for a newer set of drivers. Another idea would be to run memtest or another diagnostic tool to see if any memory fault is now being seen.

That blue screen is related to your video card and your drivers. It just so happen when you run Media Player that it happens. Check for updated drivers.

I am running WMP 11 on XP. I went to the nvidia website and downloaded the latest driver. I then booted in safe mode, removed the installed drivers (which were actually the most up to date), and then installed the drivers again. The same thing keeps happening. If it helps at all I have an HP d4100y that I upgraded with the 8800gt, a new power supply and 4gb of ram.

Well that is the start of the issues. XP 32 Bit does not play well with 4GB of RAM. It causes all sorts of conflicts and issues. Jsut search thru the forums here and you will see that. So that seems to be the start of the issue. Can you remove a GB or 2 and see if the issue continues?

4gb even sees issues with the 64bit editions of Vista let alone XP Pro 64. But sometimes the latest drivers are the worst if those are seeing a bug. When first putting the build here together with an ATI card the software disk and latest Catalyst 7.9 were the same. ATI's patch did little where the 7.10 cleaned it up.

WMP 11 is a travesty to start with even in Vista! WMP 10 is actually the best seen for XP. Once you remove 1 or 2gb there and the problem persists lose 11 and see 10 go on as well as trying a slightly older update for the card to see if that cleans it up for you.

More people ask how to see 11 removed in XP for one reason or another. You should pm me on that one sometime Makaveli213.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom