e8400 vs. q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bah if you OC the 8400 you can get some pretty quick speeds for the time being. If you plan to upgrade soon then go with the duo and have some fun, but if you're going to stick with this build then you may want a quad to last you a few years.

Big reason to go quad, is if the purpose is for heavy multitasking or editing/encoding videos and photos.

Oh for sure. On my last computer when I had the Q6600, I was shocked by how fast it was at video encoding. I could convert multiple 480 movies from .vobs to Mpeg-4s at once while backing up a dvd and nothing would slow down. It's a multitasking beast.

This wasn't as much as a topic for "which one should I get" as much as my own personal attempt to gain different accounts and personal opinions about the two products.

yes, if you plan on upgrading soon, e8400. I got it to play with. I dont plan on keeping it long. I am gonna go with a new quad possibly, or nehalem. Depends on the price of the new quads. But What do you use your pc for/

oh, well in that case. I love my e8400. it is just fun. fun to OC, and fun to game on.

yes, if you plan on upgrading soon, e8400. I got it to play with. I dont plan on keeping it long. I am gonna go with a new quad possibly, or nehalem. Depends on the price of the new quads. But What do you use your pc for/

oh, well in that case. I love my e8400. it is just fun. fun to OC, and fun to game on.

omg, gimme that bugger when your done with it lol, discounted price for mr. uber?

anyways, quad all the way, like mentioned, everything is becoming programmed with multiple (quad) cores in mind so having a quad pretty much trumps having a duo

Big reason to go quad, is if the purpose is for heavy multitasking or editing/encoding videos and photos.

Also, if you play in competitons you have to nowadays run many anti cheat systems, demo's, ect. which can drag down on your cpu... I've seen the diffrence from my opteron 180 to my q6600... When i run demos, mirc, acs, cs:s or tf2, ventrillo, steam of course, trillan, and possibly some webbrowsers to check steamid's/report wins/loses real quick... the q6600 runs them no prob. I cant speak for the e8400 but its still just a dual core..

Also, if you play in competitons you have to nowadays run many anti cheat systems, demo's, ect. which can drag down on your cpu... I've seen the diffrence from my opteron 180 to my q6600... When i run demos, mirc, acs, cs:s or tf2, ventrillo, steam of course, trillan, and possibly some webbrowsers to check steamid's/report wins/loses real quick... the q6600 runs them no prob. I cant speak for the e8400 but its still just a dual core..

lol there is no way in **** that running a source engine game and even all of those other apps causes any lag at all... even with my old X2 4200+, I could do that all without any lag... still getting ~100 FPS on source...

when your scrimming, the worst that will happen is that you'll need to run either TS or Vent (1 or the other) which both have very minimal memory/cpu impacts... since they are meant to run as a background process, then you'll need to run mirc, and even then only if your the one finding your scrim/coordinating with the other team

demos are run within the game engine itself and are all contained within that one game

and also, what self respecting team member would be running web browsers and trillian while in a scrim!? I know that freeze times are incredibly long for lo3, but still... not long enough to im, check stats and post on the forums!

edit: but i see your point

Thats why i said webbrowsers to check steamid's and reports wins and loses right away ^^

trillian can be used to contact stubborn friends who dont wanna get on steam and watch your match via sourcetv ^.^

Idk man... people have problems with demo's sometimes... I'm just saying you could ****ing run prime for nonmulti cores and still get away with playing cs:s on q6600....

hl2 is not a game engine you can use to evaluate any kind of high-end equipment right now. It is way outdated and there is no way you could tell a difference between a e8400 and q6600 on it. On hl2 games i get around 200-400 fps on my setup.. its insane.

I have my e8400 over-clocked to 4.3ghz and even before I overclocked there was only one game/app that I could tell a difference with the over-clock. And that was SoftImage XSI So right now it really doesn't matter which one you get.. there is no game/app that will really use that much power. I got the 8400 for the price/performance at the time.

Maybe in a year or two there will be a vast difference, but by that time that would be like how p4's and athlons are today.. back then the athlon owned the p4, but now they both are nothing compared to all Core2duos and phenoms floating around.

Get whatever you feel like paying for, or whichever you feel is faster.

omg, gimme that bugger when your done with it lol, discounted price for mr. uber?

anyways, quad all the way, like mentioned, everything is becoming programmed with multiple (quad) cores in mind so having a quad pretty much trumps having a duo

when nehalem comes out, PM me.:D I will consider selling if the prices are right with nehalem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom