carputer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty then,,,,how does the case and monitor fit in your car? Are you going to like bolt it to the dashboard? Sorry, it just seems a little goofy to me but then....my avitar says it all!

did you not see the link that was posted about an example rig? ever heard of glove compartment? some cars even have underchair compartments...

theres also such things as SMALL TOUCHSCREEN MONITORS! Really!? Someone decided to make a touchscreen monitor for use in a car!? Holy crap! THATS GENIUS!

anyways, now that that flame is over, gl tainted

thanks cup, and thanks shattaf for being atleast decent in your responses, and thanks for the link to the worklog

I have looked into doing this in the past myself. The main problem comes in that you really have to go for an ITX or smaller form facter to fit it into the dash.

I have the perfect computer laying around for such a task.

Its a mini-itx style, completely contained, 24V, with a 15" touch screen monitor.

its a 700mhz intel processor, 40gb harddrive (3.5" format), 512mb ram, 2.5" format DVD drive.

Its dimensions are 11.75"w X 9"h X 5" deep.

You could even pull all the internals out of the chassis and fit them into a smaller window...

If you're interested let me know.

nice find brinson, seems pretty nice except for some of the fonts which make it seem quite gay, but otherwise nice lol, it would be nicely suited for finger manipulation (touch)

I would get a regular atx and shove it into the glove compartment, of say a suv?

If it gets to hot in there I would try out watercooling and such. Idk what to do about the screen though.

I'd like to point out there is an operating system designed specifically for car computers.

LinuxICE - In Car Entertainment

wow awesome find !

I'm going to be building one in the near future.... (SUPER budget though) I will definatly check that out :)

My biggest problem is finding an affordable monitor... I'm going to see if I can canabalize a smaller laptop screen, and re-pin it into VGA to plug into the carputer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom