Dell Inspiron 1720 (or 1721)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fryc86

In Runtime
something happened to the first post. anyways, here it is again...
I need to get a new laptop. I can't spend a whole heck of a lot and am interested in the Dell Inspiron 1720. I don't do any gaming to speak of. I would like a webcam and to be able to watch dvd's and listen to music and other such media activities. Other than that it would be used primarily for internet and college coursework. Is there any reason NOT to get this laptop? I have heard that Vista is a problem for many people. Is it serious? I've heard that it might be possible to install Windows XP on there instead of Vista (I will read the other thread about that in this forum in a minute). Is there anything that makes this a bad machine and what would you recommend instead? Color and design aren't crucial but it makes for a good tie-breaker.

Out of the two i'd go for the 1721, purely because of the specifications...just be very cautious about DELL's customer service which seems a lot to be desired.

Oh and i have never used Vista so cannot comment on that part.

okay thanks. yeah I don't have a lot of tech knowledge so I don't know the differences in the specs. But I'll take that into consideration. I can't imagine Dell's customer service being a whole heck of a lot worse than Gateway's :)

No worries but to be honest i bet customer service is not fantastic the world over eh!

Good luck with whatever you choose...hope you stick around!

Make sure to get a warranty if you go dell, they have good prices but are badly made.

In regards to vista, most people that have a problem with it are those too used to xp to switch. It is like this with every major OS switch, everyone hated XP when it came out as well. Personally I love vista, and have used XP, OS X, and Linux extensively.

i had vista on my laptop, and didn't really like it/want to use it, so i went down to xp for a while, but i got bored recently and was tired of xp, so i popped vista back on, and i really like it a lot. i don't really do a lot more then any average home user on this laptop so i think vista on laptops for simple tasks is perfect. and i agree with all the other statements, just throwing my 3 cents (yes i have 1 more cent then everybody else) in about vista.

well I just ordered the 1721 so we'll see how it works out. I noticed it comes with an internal wireless set-up. Does this mean that it's all set to go for that and will work for any place that has wireless? or is there something else I need to do/get first?

Nope it'll be pretty much good to go. All you need to do is open up wireless connections and click "connect" next to the wireless network you want to connect to. Real easy :)

Make sure to get a warranty if you go dell, they have good prices but are badly made.

In regards to vista, most people that have a problem with it are those too used to xp to switch. It is like this with every major OS switch, everyone hated XP when it came out as well. Personally I love vista, and have used XP, OS X, and Linux extensively.

This is not true. I have a Dell Inspirion 1501 and it works just fine. I have not had any issues with it since i got it out of the box from Tawain.

Vista...check the Windows forum. You will see there is a love hate relationship with it.

Wireless should be a breeze to hook up with.

This is not true. I have a Dell Inspirion 1501 and it works just fine. I have not had any issues with it since i got it out of the box from Tawain.

Not all dell laptops are going to be problematic. However of relationships irl, I have never seen one that hasn't needed some work on it. Plus the overall construction is just flimsy and cheap compared to other manufacturers. This is coming from someone who owns two, since it may be worth it for the cheap price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom