carputer

Status
Not open for further replies.

taintedplay

lolwut?
not sure if this is the right forum, but im going to make a carputer. Its going to be a amd system, around like a 3800+ probally. How would i go about powering this? i know of dc-dc converters built for carputers, but they highest i saw was 120 watts. How much do i need?

Are you referring to a portable system for automotive? There are 250w 12v dc supplies available as well as the 120w models.

The wattage total for the hardwares like AMD Turion cpu averaging about 45w plus video and sound as well as drives and the board have to be calculated first. Finding a separate display that runs off of a 12v power source will be the main problem however.

Are you referring to a portable system for automotive? There are 250w 12v dc supplies available as well as the 120w models.

The wattage total for the hardwares like AMD Turion cpu averaging about 45w plus video and sound as well as drives and the board have to be calculated first. Finding a separate display that runs off of a 12v power source will be the main problem however.

It's called a laptop and you plug the PSU into the cigarette outlet 12v step up transformer adapter you can get at radio shack for 20 bucks. Am I missing something here?

It's called a laptop and you plug the PSU into the cigarette outlet 12v step up transformer adapter you can get at radio shack for 20 bucks. Am I missing something here?

You obviously have no idea of what I was even referring to there. I've been through this before where someone wanted to take a desktop and make it portable using a mobile cpu with a 12v power supply and not finding anything to use as a display. Not laptop but "desktop made portable".

The thought there was taking something like the display for an X-Box 360 that wouldn't work on pc. That was ruled out fast.

You obviously have no idea of what I was even referring to there. I've been through this before where someone wanted to take a desktop and make it portable using a mobile cpu with a 12v power supply and not finding anything to use as a display. Not laptop but "desktop made portable".

The thought there was taking something like the display for an X-Box 360 that wouldn't work on pc. That was ruled out fast.

Alrighty then,,,,how does the case and monitor fit in your car? Are you going to like bolt it to the dashboard? Sorry, it just seems a little goofy to me but then....my avitar says it all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom