Can I just buy ANY video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannonRyu

Baseband Member
I just bought a wide screen 17" flat panel monitor and plugged it into my 5 year old Sony Vaio PCV-RX753 computer but I cannot change my display properties to wide screen resolution. How do I find out what kind of video card I need? I do not need a fancy one; no gaming... mostly just MS Office :( and web browsing.

Any advice?

And if it is just a matter of opening my case and switching out the cards, I might as well update my RAM. So how do I find out how much of that to buy and what types? I know I only have 512 now, but without opening my case, how can I find out how much more I can fit?

Thanks.

That model of PC has SDRAM (i believe) so you would need to purchase that type of RAM. TO be honest 512 is ample but you could always go for more to make you applications et al run faster.

Is the graphics card onboard? - By that i mean a built in graphics card?

That model of PC has SDRAM (i believe) so you would need to purchase that type of RAM. TO be honest 512 is ample but you could always go for more to make you applications et al run faster.
If I can double my RAM for $20-30, I figured it was worth it, or will I not notice any difference? The processor is a P4 2A GHz (?). It just seems to be a LOT slower lately, especially when switching between windows and apps.

Is the graphics card onboard? - By that i mean a built in graphics card?
Don't know, how can I tell? (besides opening it up)

If you double the RAM you will notice a difference...

Your PC, as standard, comes with an onborad GFX card. Open up your PC and look where the cable from the monitor plugs in...does it plug into into a card that is 'slotted' in by your RAM sticks?

darn it... I was hoping to not have to open it up tonight, but since you are being so darn helpfull I'll crack it open right now. Wish me luck :) BRB

If you double the RAM you will notice a difference...
I have an empty slot for RAM (2 of 3 are full) so I can just plug in a 512 of the appropriate type... right?

Your PC, as standard, comes with an onborad GFX card. Open up your PC and look where the cable from the monitor plugs in...does it plug into into a card that is 'slotted' in by your RAM sticks?
I think NO. My ram slots are perpendicular to my other empty slots (one is filled with what I think is my telephone modem?) but there are 2 empty ones like it and one that is brown (instead of white) and it has a lock(?) on one end.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Yep, if in doubt just take a stick of RAM along to your local store and explain you want "one of those" :)

If you have white sockets like below then those are PCI slots

pci_slot.jpg

Are those you're empty slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom