new computer for statistical work

Status
Not open for further replies.

savagenator

In Runtime
I need to build a high end machine, budget of around $1400, has to stay in a bedroom so needs to be quiet (case fans, case, heatsink quiet)

so far i think 2x500GB HDD's about $200
and a Core 2 Duo E8400 Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
$250

I dont know about the rest, including Motherboard. I dont know about the new versions of BIOS, chipset, etc.

Also the graphics card; Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N861-AR GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail $170

I guess that is under my budget though.... Please any suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

if your going to be doing statistical work, get a quad, most workstation applications support quads and thus you'll get a lot more accomplished faster

Ah, thank you

but what about the rest? i do not know what kind of motherboard to get at all, and what heat sink I should get (i had a gigabyte mobo, and its horribly loud since the stupid fan control doesn't work at all! (constant 2500rpm)

Motherboard... you could go with this: Newegg.com - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

If that board doesn't tick your fancy, per se, then here's a list of other recommended boards (among many other parts): http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/recommended-pc-components-159027/

and, as for the heatsink... go with a TRUE Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme CPU Cooler for AMD AM2, Intel LGA775 (Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme). IT doesn't include a fan, but this one is recommended to go along with it: Scythe SY-1225SL12M SlipStream 120mm Fan 1200RPM 69CFM 24dBA

Motherboard... you could go with this: Newegg.com - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

If that board doesn't tick your fancy, per se, then here's a list of other recommended boards (among many other parts): http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/recommended-pc-components-159027/

and, as for the heatsink... go with a TRUE Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme CPU Cooler for AMD AM2, Intel LGA775 (Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme). IT doesn't include a fan, but this one is recommended to go along with it: Scythe SY-1225SL12M SlipStream 120mm Fan 1200RPM 69CFM 24dBA

good carnage, you covered everything I normally critique in builds, and that Scythe S-Flex fan has been known to be powerful and quiet, even though its $15 :D

if your going to be doing statistical work, get a quad, most workstation applications support quads and thus you'll get a lot more accomplished faster

If you need more than a Q6600 you better be looking into buy a mainframe server for your bedroom and then you'll be forced to sleep on the roof! (just joking, said for emphasis to make a point). I was using hard core med stat number crunching on a PI with 64mb of ram and didn't have a problem. Any quad that runs on vista with 8 gigs of ddr2 6400 would run about anything you want except hardcore cad and monster video/audio engineering and editing. Any modern stat program should run on a $1000 system with ease and you sure as heck don't need anything but on-board video. I'm confused......

you could probably buy a xeon proc if you really wanted to go gung-ho on this setup. There are probably good proc/mobo setups and such that could fit with some overhead in your budget.

Also i wouldn't recommend a TRUE only because it's large and from waht i've heard a little awkward to install, and he doesn't really need really cool temps. I would say, if there are any decent ones, go passive cooling on it, and just have sleevless fans and no led's and you could leave it on 24/7 provided you can keep temps in check and it's completely silent. Thats what i did when i was rendering things and i had a slow proc so i had to leave it on for extended periods of time and it worked wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom