Bios showing 3.3 GB ram instead 4 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

dying4004

Solid State Member
guyz

i am using Gigabyte 945 GCMX S2 Mobo with Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2 Ghz.

I just bought 2 * 2 GB Transcend RAM. but the prob is tht my BIOS s showing Memory 340..... KB means sumthing around 3.3 GB. I know that Windows Xp or Vista 32 but will find around 3.2 GB ram but bios shud find 4 GB ram. so cud u guyz plz tell me sum way to make the bios find 4 gb ram?? cheerz guyz

Hey dying4004,
Welcome to Tech-Forums!!!

Looking at your motherboard, I'm guessing you're using the onboard graphic chip? If so, that's what's taking up some of the RAM.

b1gapl: thnx so much for the reply and the welcome. :D

no i am not using onboard grafics. i am using xfx nvidia geforce 8400 256 builtin ddr2 .

ohh 1 thing...... i just logged in my leopard..... i am using leopard in my pc as a trial as i am planning to buy a mac air........ i found tht its showing 4 GB ram installed. so i think the information in BIOS is somewhat buggy. though its showing 3.25 GB in ram actually the system is getting 4 GB ram. tomorow i will buy VISTA 64 bit to see if it finds the whole 4 GB ram as 64 bit OS are not limited to 4 GB of ram.

cheerz guyz.

*** this forum rulz.

it probably is a bios issue as you said, so try and flash the bios if it is an issue that you can't see it all in the bios. if not then try 64bit and if it works cool.

guyz sorry for disturbing u...... but i need ur suggestions again.......... i just installed windows xp 64 bit....... but its also showing the ram 3.25 gb.......... . but in windows xp 64 bit..... CPUZ is showng ram 4 GB. only MAC Leopard shows the ram as 4 gb in the OS system properties. . here are some attachments......... what do u guyz think about it?? regards

pc1nd0.jpg

pc2bp3.jpg

pc3vf3.jpg

picture1sc0.png

atomic tofu: thnx for the reply bro. is vista service pack 1 available for download??

and the thing is 64 bit OS shud not have any prob seeing 4 GB ram. but in my case:

Apple MAC Leopard (64 bit) ------ can see 4 gb and reports 4 gb

Windows Vista Ultimate ( 32 bit no sp1 ) ---- reports 3.25 gb while 3rd party software sees 4 gb

Windows XP 64 bit ( 64 bit) ------ reports 3.25 gb while 3rd party software reprots 4 gb

yeah, 64bit shouldn't have a prob...I noticed that so I wondered about your bios/onboard...even with your smaller screenies before

svc pack is only oem/system maker
files can't be tagged for posting here for example :D
you are using 2x2 memory? they are the same brand/specs?

yeah am using 2*2 memory and they r of same brand and specs. if 3rd party apps showing 4 gb then why cant the bios?? the motherboard is actually recognising 4 gb but bios reporting 3.25. this is driving me nuts

dying...check your mobo maker and perhaps look into a bios update for it
some chipsets seem to have this ram issue as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom