Harddrive speed does it make a diff???

Status
Not open for further replies.

chr_mar

Baseband Member
Would it make a big difference if I ran my OS on a 10k or 15k harddrive, would it run alot faster

Depends on the rest of your system. And the actual OS wouldn't run faster, it would just load quicker at startup. 10k is plenty for current hardware but if you really have the money and want those extra 2 seconds of load time removed then go for the 15k. Games also have less load time, but again depends on the rest of the hardware.

10K and 15k are not worth the price/capacity. I would imagine 15Ks being a lot louder too.

I think you should go for Seagate's 7200.11 series hard drives. They're one of the fastest 7200rpm hard drives around, and are better bang for your buck.

Put two of them in RAID 0, and that would be a way better value, than 10Ks or 15Ks.

I had two 7200's in RAID 0 then put these 10k drives in a RAID 0 and the difference is big enough for me. Where you will notice it the most is when you are installing programs. Load times are faster too. The 10k drives are WAY louder and hotter though.

i can def. notice a speed and loading difference between my old 7200.11 160gig and my two 150gig raptorXs(10,000rpm). But no, the speed isnt great enough to justify the price, so only buy raptors if you have the money lying around, if not, 7200.11 will do you fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom