Asus Cool-n-quite / Cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunoboy

Baseband Member
Hi all, Just when ya think everythings perfect you notice smething else gone wrong !! My board is an ASUS A8S-X with AMD ATHLON 64 DUAL CORE 3800 2.00 GH. 2GIG RAM DDR400. Same set up iv'e had for months. I notice just yesterday via PC Probe II my cpu temp is up a fair bit. Have a look at the COOL N QUITE application and sure enough its running flat out. Checked the bios and all is set as it should be for the CPU mhz to be throttled back to about 1.oogh when at idle as it always used to . I notice the CPU voltage is varying a lot , 1.3 to 1.4 . Jumping up and down. Could this possibly be a PSU Unit problem ? I am sometimes getting voltage alerts from the probe too . Any ASUS BOARD EXPERTS out there ready to advise me where to start fault finding first ? Ran memtest on all the dimms and there all good. Anyway hope to hear from someone. May have been my own doing, possibly shorted the board, forgetting to switch off power before connecting and dissconnecting things !! I would'nt be the lone ranger there i'm sure ! Thanks all:eek:

Have you cleaned out your CPU heat sink? Make sure it's still seated good. And you can either bring the power supply in to test it or buy a tester for about $12.00.

Thanks sPIAToid. Everything clean as a whistle on this machine. Took out the dual cor and replaced the standard Amd Athlon CPU i used to run just to check it wasn't the cpu itself but thats not it. Its running hotter because the cpu is running at full speed 2000.00 constantly now wheras it used to run at about 1000.00 when not under load. Tried a cloned hard drive too, no diff.
Like you say will invest in a psu unit tester. Gotta be bios or voltage related i reckon. The machine is working great otherwise, i just liked the way cool n quite throttled back the cpu when it had no need to be running full pelt. Kinda like reving the guts out of you car engine constantly when not needed.
Might try to flash the bios with the original. Thanks for you reply mate.

:eek: :eek: Guess what, all is well ! Just got a tip from AMD FORUMS to check power options in windows control panel and set to minimal power. That was the problem! Can't believe i forgot to change that after setting up this drive. I feel a real dork ! Spent hours yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong.Oh well at least all is back to normal and i know i hav'nt damaged the board. Ya live and learn ! Chears and thanks. Brunoboy.:) :eek:

Great fix. Glad you let me know about it. Always room for some more info in my worn out brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom