Home Theatre PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

In Runtime
Hello Techies,
soo.. I am wanting to build a home theater pc (HTPC) and I was wandering if any of you guys have experience in this field. I was wanting to know what the cost is and how good HTPC's are for the tv, movie and normally computing experiences. Thanks for reading this

htpc is the same as building any other pc...and can just be as good in all areas, because it's a pc ;)

the one thing you have to concern yourself more or absolutely most with, is the noise level of the unit.

you can either try for a build that is fan less and only uses heat sinks (though fans will still be somewhere in the case) - fanless means no fan on the cpu or gpu.

And if you want to buy a standard pc case or a specifically made for htpc case.

MONEUAL.COM

many others too, I believe, Zalman makes some too

Thats cool on the performance side. My next questions are..
What should i be looking for in a video card, TV tuner, and sound card. Also, how much spade will i be needing? is 750GB enough?

How much gaming do you plan to do. If all you plan on doing is using it as a DVR/DVD/etc then you can get away with a cheaper video card. I used a regular mid-tower for my build, but thats because i have 5 750gb hard drives. I use an MSI 8500GT video card because it has both an HDMI and DVI output. The hauppage 1800 is an excellent tv tuner.

I would like to do some decent gaming such as COD 4, front lines: fuel of war, and some strategy games like starcraft 2 when it comes out and what not.

I was also looking at the hauppage tuner also.

I am hoping ot have a 37 in lcd for my tv/monitor..soo does that play a role in deciding what kind of video card?

If you plan to do actual gaming, i would go with a 9600gt or 8800gt. The 8500 isnt going to do much good for gaming. But my media pc is strictly for viewing recorded shows and dvds.

ok guys sorry for the newb qeuestions, but a) what is spade?, and b) what is the advantage of having 5 hard drives? are you guys saving movies and stuff on your pc or playing it from a disc?

spade = typo of space
I have 5 hard drives because one weekend when i decide to get off my lazy butt, i'm going to rip as many of my 400+ dvd's to the htpc so that i never have to go digging to find the disc when i want to watch a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom