What is the most popular motherboard now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I like to know what you guys think is a good motherboard to get right now. What chipsets to use too. I see the Nvidia 750 and the 780 series chipsets. Are they any good Intel counterpart chipsets?

It has to support Core 2 Quad at least. The motherboard doesn't have to be ultra expensive or top of the line, if you know what I mean. Something with a decent price using a powerful chipset.

Graphics wise, SLI would be fine, but not necessary. Definitely not 3-SLI functionality. Overkill, big time. It has to have multimedia capability meaning games, coding/encoding, DVD everything, watch TV, etc.

Yes it is. I update every other week or so. Or when someone suggests any other recommended parts. Last update was two days ago.

780i is the best intel motherboard out right now for SLI....personally i think the p35 is the most popular chipset right now, but x38 is good only for crossfire.

I just learned that Intel is planning to release a slew of new chipsets this year and next year. There is an upgraded version to the X38 called the X48 and the new G series chipsets which is suppose to be the successor to the G35/P35 and DirectX 11.0 scheduled for 2009.

But the Nehalem is the huge upgrade we're going to see when it comes to new CPUs. Totally new architecture to replace the Core CPUs.

Get this. Intel will for the first time, release a new quad core CPU for laptops later this year. Wow, can't wait to see how those run.

Also, fans of the Nvidia 9 series will receive a boost in video performance:

"nVidia GeForce GeForce 9800 GTX (Code name: D9E = Desktop 9 Enthusiast, aka G100 or GT200) is expected to be launched on March 25th. This will be nVidia's 9th-Gen enthusiast GPU and will phase-out the D8E series. The 9800 GTX will be manufactured using TSMC's 65 nm process, contain over 1 billion transistors, and support DirectX 10.1 and Shader Model 4.1. Unlike previous generation enthusiast cards that used two discrete GPU's on separate PCB's, the 9800 GTX might be a single, high-end multicore chip or more likely two G92 GPU's on a single PCB. Cards will likely include 1GB frame buffers (512MB/GPU) and a total of 256 stream processors. It is thought to have at least a 512-bit memory bus, twice that of the D9M. It will more than likely have at least 768MB or 1GB of GDDR4 memory. The 9800 GTX will compete against AMD R700-based video cards. It will have two SLI bridges and support Tri-SLI. TDP is expected to be around 250W."

In addition..........

Vista SP1 will also include DirectX 10.1, additional drivers, and support for exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) drive partition system used in many flash storage devices.

i dunno about the models .. but i really prefer intel .. seems very reliable .. because its providing for me one **** of a computer experience

the x48 only supports ddr3 i believe so thats not worth it until ddr3 price comes down which won't be for a while, and the 9800 series are starting to be considered as a 'skip gen' so don't bother buying it unless you really just want the best of the best and the most money.

Looks like it's going to be some year in 2009, if a lot of the new stuff doesn't become mainstream later this year. DDR3. Plus, USB 3.0 is coming.....I hear it's wireless too. Does that mean that it will replace Bluetooth? It's said to be 10x faster than USB 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom