Problems recovering\detecting files/settings on backup drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropmurphy

Beta member
Just recently I was hit with some sort of nasty malware that none of my detection software was able to detect (tried Norton, McAffee, Adaware pro, Spybot, AVG). This was causing my system to run well under speed. It was usable but terribly annoying. Finally I gave up and backed up all of my important files and used the transfer wizard on XP to my secondary hard drive. Then, I reformatted my C: drive and reinstalled XP home. Now, it will not let me into my backup drive (F: ) saying that it is not formatted and asking if I would like to format it now. I don't want to lose all of the backed up files and settings, and obviously formatting would cause this. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do in this situation?

If I boot right to the XP CD it goes right into setup. I only used the wizard for my settings anyway, so I should be able to get the files. The drive seems to be the problem--I'm going to try partition recovery software to see if that works(advice from another forum). If it does, I'll post it here in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom