LEX or Jetway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryH

Beta member
I am trying to help a friend who is having trouble with her computer (XP O/S, 800mhz Duron, 512 MB RAM).

Files keep getting corrupted and OS keep needing to be reinstalled. To try and cure the problem (I thought at first it was a virus), I formatted and loaded up a clean install of XP. Within a few hours, files became corrupted after which the computer would not boot. After flashing the BIOS (clutching at straws) I then repartitioned, reformatted and re-installed. Files immediately became corrupted again. I repeated the whole thing (out of frustration) with Win 98 and got the same result only this time the computer complained of invalid page faults before corrupting the system files. I ran scandisk which found lost chains and corrupt files etc and also, very interestingly, corrupt FAT's

I have replaced all the hardware (1 piece at a time) in her computer with parts from mine (except MB). Same result each time. This included replacing her HDD with mine

I decided then to strip the whole thing down (cleaning everything thoroughly from dust etc) and start again with the parts from her machine. On doing this I noticed that the sticker on the MB saying that it was a LEX BN780 Pro was stuck over another sticker which said that the board was an 663AS Pro (which I now know to be a Jetway board).

The manual that she had with the board was for a LEX BN780 but I had noticed previously that the actual board layout was not exactly the same as the manual. Now I can see why!

There must a link though between LEX and Jetway boards. The driver disk that came with the board was labelled LEX and I have now realised that the BIOS updates on the disk are for Jetway boards.

Unfortunately, last week, we looked on the CD and could not find a flash BIOS for LEX BN 780 Pro (which we though was the correct name for the board) so we went online and found one for it and flashed the BIOS. This was with the file B780A15.bin (256 bytes)

Since realising that the board was called a Jetway 663AS Pro, I went online and found a BIOS for this which is 663asA15.bin (256 bytes). (note the similarity to the BIOS that I used last week for the LEX BN 780 which was B780A15.bin.

Anyone any thoughts please? I am wondering if it is safe to flash the BIOS with the latest one that I can find for Jetway 663AS (663asA15.bin)

As regards to the files being corrupted, since cleaning all the parts and reassembling the machine is behaving (for a few hours maybe) but I have noticed that the processor is running very hot even though the fan is working OK Also that the computer is running very sluggishly.

Could the BIOS have any effect or is it best to get another MB? It seems to me that this is the problem because I have replaced everything else.

Sorry for the long post but I am now intrigued by the whole thing and want to sort it out for my friend.

Any help or advice will be appreciated

Thanks

Terry

I agree, besides, if the computer is running hot and sluggish I believe it is time for a more appropriate board. Get something by ASUS, Gigabyte, etc. No off name junk. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I just think a crappy motherboard has no place in anybodies computer.

Oh, and if the computer runs well after your current efforts just let it be. If you still get file corruption try updating the BIOS with the LEX files because they may have done some modifications that require their file's support. If it is as MicroBell states, and it's an exact match then I guess it really doesn't matter anyways. Just chuck it. Lol, good luck, keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom