4.0GHz Overclocking by Core 2 Quad Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
uhhhmmmm.... hardly exciting...

if you've got a decent P35/X38 board, good cooling (high-end air, water or even phase) and some luck, it's not that hard to get a Q6600 to 4.0GHz

what's harder though is to get 4.0GHz stable, there's different degrees of stable too... benchmark stable, prime95 stable, gaming stable, etc. etc.

mgcook and Nosboost300 have booted on 4.0ghz Stably, so this isn't that impressive

Wicked.. I was just trying to see if it is possible and if I could do it... I think I can.. I play games like crysis and I hope it will be stable enough for me. I will keep my eye on the temperature whilst I overclock it and see how it turns out.

Note: Don't have a computer to try this on yet.. I am building it..;P

Just note that not every Q6600, whether it has a good VID or G0 stepping, will overclock the same. There are some who can't even get past stock or 3GHz.

And I doubt you'll be able to play Crysis at 4GHz, without it crashing. Unless you're using one heck of a liquid cooling system to keep it stable at such a high speed. And even if you can, it's not worth it, to go through all that trouble of pumping alot of voltage to just get it stable at 4GHz. You'll just reduce the life span of the processor quicker, that way. 3.6GHz is a good high overclock, that is easier to achieve stability, and is plenty fast.

I have some ice cubes and I pay for air conditioning and I have a vent in my floor. :)

Specs:

THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME CPU COOLER FOR AMD AM2, INTEL LGA775

1 200mm back fan 8 more fans throughout.. and a leaf blower MWHAHAHA....

EDIT: I just wana see if it's possible.. I guess i will keep it at 3.6 or so

I've booted up at 4.2GHz on air, Ran SuperPI and 3dmark06 both at 4.0Ghz.

I can play Crysis, COD4 and others at 3.4 Ghz (stock intel cooler FTW), 685/2300 8800 Ultra and Maximus Formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom