hdd problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazarus_Abraham

Solid State Member
I just built this computer and it's starting to make me angry. everything on the system works. The only things that dont are the hard drives. I finally got the system to detect the new 20gb drive that I plan to use for back up but now it will not detect my old 40gb hard drive that I had on my previous system. Could my cables be shot? or my hard drive output fried? I still havent used my new system because it will not detect the hard drives. anyone have any ideas why?

i have a few ideas.
are your hard drives sharing the same cable??
if they are, did you set one hard drive to master and the other to slave??

yeah

yeah, both of my hard drives are on the same ide cable, and the jumpers are properly set. the 20gb is detected and is the slave drive, whereas the 40gb is set to master but is not detected. on the other ide I have a cdrw and dvd drives. the 40gb clicks once in a while, but is never detected.

did you look in the bios to see if it was detected??
disconnect the 20gb and see if you can see the 40gb.
change the ide cable.

the bios does not detect it, and I did change the ide cable which finally showed the 20 gig in the bios but still doesnt show the 40 gig. it did show the 40 gig breifly once but then it disappeared.

I guess I'll have to try that. However, I think I'll have to wait until Tuesday. thanks for your help.

I think the hard drive is fried.

I think tomorrow, I'll trade in my brand new Nf7 mainboard for a NF7-S, and get a new SATA hard drive. I cant find any IDE drives anymore anyways, it was probably a bad investment to get a board without SATA.

Lazarus_Abraham,

It is a bad idea to have both the DVD and the CD drives on the same IDE channels. You should put them each on their own separate channels; particularly if you do any sort of CD-CD copying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom