Question about changing the processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruixh

Beta member
I'm really curious about what will happen if I change/upgrade my processor on my current motherboard. I really don't want to do something complicated and exhausting when I change it.

So the question is, do I need to reformat the whole thing and set it up all over again and install all the needed drivers when I change/upgrade my Processor?
Is this true also when I change/upgrade my Video Card?

No you don't need to reformat.
When you change the video card, you might need to reinstall some drivers, but only if its changing from ATI to nVidia or nVidia to ATI.

Thanks peterhuang913 and b1gapl for the help but sorry for being stupid and wasting your time but I didn't quite understand if I should reformat when I change processors? (The video card part is solved)

You don't have to reformat when you change processors, as we said before. The only component change that would require a reformat, is the motherboard, since the drivers for it are installed on the hard drive.

At most you might have to re-activate Windows, but that happens very seldom.

You don't have to reformat when you change processors, as we said before. The only component change that would require a reformat, is the motherboard, since the drivers for it are installed on the hard drive.

I think you can also get away with doing a repair install if you swap out motherboards, can't you? Or if you uninstall your mobo drivers first, then put the new board in? 'Tis what I've heard from a few people on here, anyway.

I think you can also get away with doing a repair install if you swap out motherboards, can't you? Or if you uninstall your mobo drivers first, then put the new board in? 'Tis what I've heard from a few people on here, anyway.

Yea...I was thinking about that a while ago. If you install the new motherboard's drivers in the hard drive before hand, maybe you don't have to reformat. But I prefer a fresh start.

Very much appreciated everyone. Wow, I didn't think that the community would really be helpful and friendly at the same time ^_^ Thanks for all the help guys, hope I can't count on you on the future, I'm still a noob at computers and stuffs like these. Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom