Registry cleaning software - good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
Okay, I've got a computer that's had heavy use for about the last 5 years, hadn't been defraged for 3, has had MANY installs and uninstalls, and has a registry with more enteries than grains of sand on the beach. :eek:

I've heard that cleaning the registry should help speed things up. So I found this software: Eusing Free Registry Cleaner............

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,64953-page,1-c,downloads/description.html

Does this sound like a good idea, or would you recommend something else, or maybe differant software? Would love your opinions! :)

I believe that registry cleaning is something very godd especially in your case that you have neglected cleaning your pc. Registry cleaning cleans up invalid entries that may confuse the system to no-more existing locations. Thus it reduces the size of the registry and makes it respond better. I use Tune Up Utilities 2008 / Registry Clean and I would recommend it if you 'd like to spend some money on it, otherwise the one that Pc world suggest seems generally good with a glance at it but I haven't tried it yet. If you would like a free one it seems the best option.

anybody else think its a good idea? I have had issues in the past, but it could have been a virus. Anyway I have been staying away from registry cleaning since then. I would also like to know if its a good idea.

Just use CCleaner. Anything else you run the risk of corrupting your data. Some registry cleaners have been known to delete god registry file and brink your PC.

Do registry cleaners recognize spyware? (or if your registry's been altered) And can they ‘fix' the registry to it's status before the spyware?

Do registry cleaners recognize spyware? (or if your registry's been altered) And can they ‘fix' the registry to it's status before the spyware?

Some will recognize it. But they really wont fix it. Go to the Virus section and follow Osiris's guide (It's a stickied thread in there) on how to remove any spyware/viruses.

Registry cleaners are dangerous. You may end up deleting important keys and that would be the end of the OS. If the system is in really bad shape, the most time-effective solution is to backup the data and reinstall XP, preferably from a slipstreamed XP+SP2+updates disc. You get a clean start....

There are a few dangerous Registry cleaner yes. But CCleaner is tried and tested. It will not harm your system and render it unusuable. Plus if you are going to make a edit to the registry...back it up. Format and reinstall is not always the answer to the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom