First time

Status
Not open for further replies.

disarm

Beta member
Hey...

I'm tired of paying more for computers and not getting what I want. So i decided to put together my own Pc. However, I am a bit unsure about how to build a computer.( not to much confidence in myself)

Well there is what i'm putting in my system.

680ISLI XFX mobo, quad core Q6600, 4GB of OCZ DDR-800 424 then 25 MIr makes 400
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor 2.40GHz OEM, OCZ 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 Memory (2 x 2048MB) at TigerDirect.com

GPU:8800GT XFX 219 then 189 after rebates
XFX GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Alpha Dog Edition, FREE Company of Heroes PC Game, 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDCP, Video Card PVT88PYDF4 at TigerDirect.com

HDD 160GB Segate Barracuda 59.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM ST3160815AS at TigerDirect.com

DVD burner: Pioneer DVD burner 39.99
Pioneer DVR-212DBK OEM High Speed Dual Format Bulk Drive - 18x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 10x DVD±R DL, DVD-RAM Read-Only, SATA with Software, Black at TigerDirect.com

The parts above ordered from TIGERDIRECT

These parts=newegg

Case: Asus Generic 44
Newegg.com - ASUS TA-891 (generic) Black/ Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Retail

Power supply Corsair 550VX 99 then 84 after MIr
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Prices without shipping, rebates or tax-886

Price without shipping, and tax-756

If anyone would be willing to give a tutorial or suggestions, let me know

well building a first computer is like your first time at anything else lol, you dont know exacly what your doing but u have an idea, you may have to ask for instructions, and youl maybe end up with a few worries afterwards that u did everything right lol. there is a tutorial somehwere on this site, what i ended up doing personaly was look for individual tutorials on youtube like how to mount the mobo and seat a cpu instal heat sink and so on, use the search bar and you should find our forum tutorial. your mobo instruction manual will also be very very helpful.

Yeah, that's good advice. The hardest thing for me was getting the mounting screws for the mobo right and the front panel connections were irritating (still are actually). Everything else is easy as pie. Everything has decent documentation, too, and it's easy enough to find tutorials if you get stuck.

Yeah, that's good advice. The hardest thing for me was getting the mounting screws for the mobo right and the front panel connections were irritating (still are actually). Everything else is easy as pie. Everything has decent documentation, too, and it's easy enough to find tutorials if you get stuck.

lol i thought i was the only one that found those annoying, and frustrating. one thing that i did on my first build was i was trying to do wire management as i went, but i didn't realize that all those wires were in the way, so do it afterwards

Haha boy do I remember my first time.

On the floor in my kitchen.

Screwing in all those damned screws.
Darn near threw out my back crouching over it.

My first time was actually pretty smooth because of all the do it your self videos I watched. As well as taking the time to actually figure out what parts I needed. But as always I always considered price over performance. Which is what a lot of new builders seem to do.

My first build was actually all screwed up. Took way too much advice from my dad's friends who I later found out were actually basically incompetent. So I ended up with some overpriced parts and incompatible ram that gave me tons of problems They were more than happy to help me pick out expensive parts but when it came to troubleshooting everything they pretty much just shrugged their shoulders. Watch out who you get help from lol!

And I still don't have a Q connector. I would've killed for one of those things when I was building my system!

My first build was actually all screwed up. Took way too much advice from my dad's friends who I later found out were actually basically incompetent. So I ended up with some overpriced parts and incompatible ram that gave me tons of problems They were more than happy to help me pick out expensive parts but when it came to troubleshooting everything they pretty much just shrugged their shoulders. Watch out who you get help from lol!

And I still don't have a Q connector. I would've killed for one of those things when I was building my system!

lol I know what you mean with incompetent people, thank God I decided to learn on my own and put it all together on my own.

I read up on it like 6 months before even ordering my parts. It was actually pretty easy. But the front panel connectors were always plugged in wrong. I always read the manuals from beginning to end when I get new parts. Its like when I was a kid and I bought a new video game. On the ride home I would open it and read the whole entire manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom