What Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galadhlinn

Beta member
Hello,
I am experiencing a computer problem that I cannot figure out. I recently purchased all new components to upgrade.
I purchased:
MSI K9A2 70 FX MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Black Edition with oem cpu fan
Sapphire ATI HD3850 512 DDR3 Video Card
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400C4 (2 sticks, 1 gig each)
Western Digital 250 GB HDD (WD2500YS)
Antec EarthPower 500 watt PS

I installed these into my Antec Case. I formatted/partitioned the drive, installed/activated Windows XP Home, installed motherboard and video drivers.
My initial issues were that the Realtek HD audio drivers did not properly install and the 3COM pci fax/modem installed but would not work. After some work, I resolved these issues, and everything seemed to be working properly (for about and hour). I installed MS Combat Flight Simulator 3. The game graphics were all jittery, and the game crashed several times. The third crash resulted in the computer rebooting on its own. I uninstalled the game. The computer continued to crash, however, after every few minutes. After a few crashes (computer rebooting on its own) the computer would not reboot. It would power up. The CD/DVD drives would spin and then nothing. I could not even get to bios, and the monitor would not switch on. I tried several times to reset (jump) bios, but it did not correct the problem. I uninstalled the modem, but no luck. If I let the computer sit for awhile, it would boot normally to desktop, but after 5-10 minutes would reboot and then I could not even get to bios again. This pattern repeated several times.

At this point I contacted a computer technician over the phone and related everything so far. His recommendation was to check all connections and the CPU fan/heatsink. His thought was if everything checked out, that it was likely the motherboard since the board would fail so early in the post, even before reaching the point of accessing the bios.

After running through all the checks he recommended with no success, I obtained an RMA on the motherboard and ordered a new motherboard. I chose to go with another motherboard, the DFI LanParty 790FX M2R UT. I installed the MB and booted. The computer booted fine, I installed the new motherboard drivers. The computer ran fine for about 20 minutes then the same problem, reboot with the boot stalling before reaching the point to access bios. I tried several times with no luck. I contacted the computer technician and arranged to drop off the PC for him to repair. He was unsuccessful. He informed me that he had swapped out the video card, power supply, RAM and HDD with known working parts and was unable to correct the problem. The only part he was unable to swap in a known working one was the CPU. His conclusion was that the CPU was the likely cause and that as soon as it got warm, it was malfunctioning.

At this point I purchased a replacement AMD Athlon 64X2 5000 BE with a CoolerMaster Hyper TX2 CPU fan . It arrived yesterday. I replaced it, but the problem persists.

I do not know what to do now. I have built half a dozen computers from a Pentium II 300Mhz with 68 MB RAM to the present and never had this much trouble. It seems the techs I contact don't know much more than me which is basic troubleshooting.

Any advice at this point would be greatly appreciated.

-G

Try This. Leave the CPU and ram on the board.
Take the whole setup out of the case and lay it on a table on an anti static bag.
Plug in your Video card mouse and keyboard.
Plug in your power supply you ll have to take it out of the case to do this.
Now for this I use a old wire with a switch on it to power the board on with the front on pins.
but you can just jump the two pins to fire it up.
Then when it boots go into BIOS and let it run for about an hour is it will run that long.
This will check if you have a grounding issue in the tower.
If you do you need to use cardboard washers for all the screws.
I know this sounds like a long shot but its worked for me more than once.

Thank you Spiatoid,

I resolved the problem. It was a bad stick of ram. Eventhough I had checked the ram, it had fooled me. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not, especially after it got warm.

Sent it on its way to RMA land, and pc runs great!

-G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom