Computer too hot!`

Status
Not open for further replies.

samishalash

Beta member
I have a dell 8300 at 2.8 gh p4, and it sounded like a plane taking off whenever I used it and sometimes at idle, so I set out to quiet it down. I first thought that it was my power supply, so I changed the crappy 250 watt dell to an antec true 330. I still had the noise, so I figured out that it was the fan (with the green lid), so I took that out along with the housing and green lid and mounted an 80mm antec fan in it's place and presto, my noise was gone and the pc was pretty quiet. Anyhow, the problem I have now is that it is very hot. I first noticed that when I burned a cd and the cd burner tray along with the cd were hot to the touch. The sides of the computer case are hot as well. I don't know how to measure the inside temp, but should I be concerned? I don't know if the cause of the extra heat is because of the new power supply, or because of the different fan or even something else. Btw, the fan I installed in place of the stock fan wouldn't connect to the fan connector on the motherboard, so I hooked it up to the fan only connector on the power supply. would that make a difference? I currently have 3 hard drives, a cd burner, a dvd burner, a floppy drive, and all 4 of my pci slots are full, with a tv tuner, sound card, usb card and a firewire card. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance:)

wow, ur computer is packed. thats prolly y ur overheating. too much stuff. you should think about liquid cooling.

get a fan that deals with just the drives and another to mount over all those expansion slots.

yeah you could look into some cooling for you hdd's or something along the lines of a pci fan might help out...

I think I'll take out one of my hard drives to see if that helps. Is there a problem with not using the fan connector on the motherboard and just hooking the fan up to the power supply? Everytime I start the computer I get this message "Alert! Previous fan failure"

that jus means that the mobo dosent know the fan is there, but u might want to combine ur usb card anf irewire card together. Get a combo card i dont think they are too much. How many case fans do you hve?

yea, hard drive generates alot of heat. Gl\l0m!$h, thats a good idea.
the only difference for the fan to be mounted on the mobo, is so that it can be monitored. not a big deal

what do you mean by combine my usb card and fan wire together? the extra usb card i installed is just a pci card, or are you talking about the usb ports that come with the pc? thanks.

no, he means that you could get a usb card and firewire on the same card, rather than having 2 different cards.

To tell u the truth i wouldnt recommend liquid cooling in ur box cause if one of those tubes breaks its over 4 ur box and most of your components. Like Hinrichisgod said, get a pci fan. It really helps out.

overclocker1 said:
To tell u the truth i wouldnt recommend liquid cooling in ur box cause if one of those tubes breaks its over 4 ur box and most of your components. Like Hinrichisgod said, get a pci fan. It really helps out.

If he decides to use liquid cooling, and he takes his time building the system with good qaulity parts, he shouldn't have a problem.

-Silent Fear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom