hardware spec for interactive exhibition

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for your reply

work station? it will be a stand alone application that interacts with FTSE 100 data but there won't be other instances of the application, so that means workstation right?
yes it would be very graphically oriented, 3D environment with a hundred moving characters on screen all the time.

so there would be multiple graphics cards hooked up to the sli setup? the application would be displayed on a large screen. the 5 touchscreens would wouldn't be showing the same thing as on the screen but options that the user could select such as selecting a specific item on the screen

when you say 'dual CPU motherboard' do you mean intel core 2 duo technology?

would 4gb ram suffice? the application would be extremely data processing intensive.

thanks again

I would recommend getting a workstation/server motherboard which has an actual two slot interface for CPU's, you can literally have two on it at once... thus you can have an effective 8 cores with a top of the line CPU

if you can overstretch your budget a bit, you could get a pair of these Newegg.com - Intel Xeon X7350 Tigerton 2.93GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 771 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

lol... j/k, 4.5m is crazy enough... jesus

or realistically you could get something like these

Newegg.com - Intel Xeon X5365 Clovertown 3.0GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache Socket 771 120W Quad-Core Processor - Retail x2

then get this motherboard or something equivalent

Newegg.com - ASUS DSEB-D16/SAS Dual 771 Intel 5400 SSI EEB 3.61 Server Motherboard - Retail

then get any number of some ram like this

Newegg.com - Kingston 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Server Memory - Retail

then get two crossfire pci-e x16 cards, I have no idea about ATI cards sorry

then get some 10,000 RPM hard drives depending on the size of the files you'll put on the pc

I'd say 8 gigs of ram would suffice, 4 gigs probably as well, but be safe

if you wan't you can always buy on the low side and upgrade the PC after testing it to see if it works for you

Don't forget to buy however many touch screens you need and don't forget to make sure you don't buy too many and not have enough DVI links

what would be more effective, 2x 3870x2's or 3 sli'd ultras? and agreed on the xeon's, and also go for like 16gb ram. lol. you have 5mil euro....

thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

a few other things, would this all just fit into a regular pc case or would it go into one of those server racks?
since it would be running almost continuously I guess it would have to be specially cooled?

and if I understand correctly, the crossfire cards are top of the range graphics cards? so these would be able to handle a hundred moving characters with pixar-esque quality graphics?

also the dvi links you mention, are these what will enable the touch screen capability? they are able to send back data from the touch screen?

just check the touch screens you will buy and see if its compatable

also, no this won't fit into a regular case...

Physical Spec
Form Factor SSI EEB 3.61
Dimensions 12.0" x 13.0"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom