Vista Or XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXxexpertxXx

In Runtime
Well, the time has come and i have decided that i am going to reformat.

Vista is ok looking but its giving me to many problems. that i can no longer handel

Before i go reformating

Is their a possible way for me to reformat vista without having the disc? I wanna reinstall Vista Basic! and later on in the future i will install Ultimate

No there is no way to format without the Vista disc. A format gets rid of all information on the drive. So how could you keep the install yet lose all information?

easy. have another partition??

anyways there is a corrupted file when i try to reinstall xp well now i gotta wait..

Ahh but that is not what you said. ;) You said to format the drive and reinstall. That means you would lose the info. To keep it on a seperate drive is not gonna server you any purpose as after you format you cant just move the stuff back and expect it to work.

Any which wa you look at it you need a disc to install the OS. Just moving it will do nothing but corrupt your system even more.

How is there a cuorrupted file? If that is the case run chkdsk on your drive as a fresh install should not have corrupted files unless there is something wrong with the drive in the first place.

Check Disk. That is the utility to run when you want to check the integrity of your hard drive. If you have used this CD to install before that would not be the case that the CD would jsut develop this issue out of no where.

Usually when Windows XP says that a file is corrupt one of 2 thigns needs to be done. Either a Check Disk needs to be done or you need to format the drive with the Full option not the Quick option. As you still have information on the drive that is perventing Windows XP from installing correctly on that drive.

When it says "Press any key to boot from CD" i do than it start loading files.. Well right before it goes to the Terms of Use Agreements page it says that the file is corrupted.. How do i do checkdisc?

Okay well i am guessing you dont have a valid Vista install anymore right?

Have you used this Disc for XP before? Did you do a quick format or a full format when you went to install? Or did you not choose to format so that you can keep your info?

If you didnt format you will have to. It will have to be a full format. If you have Vista just right click on the drive you want to install on and go under Tools. You will see check disk there.

Use GParted!!! It is a LiveCD that you dont have to use the Windows CD with!! No offense i mean this is the nicest way possible. For someone who says they knwo XP and have a lot of computer knowledge. You dont really seem to know much about how to install a Operating System.

The GParted Live CD can be downloaded here:

Mirrors

Burn that to a CD. Boot with that in the drive. The application isnt that hard to figure out. Just clikc the drive and you we see the option light up on what to do. From there just right click and choose the format option and select the NTFS file system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom