*Solved* CPU usage higher at idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
My computer use to idle at 0-2% CPU usage.

Now it idles at 6-8%.

When I go into safe mode it goes back to 0-2%.

I typically have 19 process running. I have tried ending every process possible and it makes no difference to the CPU usage.

I have gone thru all the services.msc running and turned all of them off that is allowed and no luck.

When I run Super PI 1M I get ~35s. In safe mode I get 30.5s.
Something is obviously holding my system back.

There is nothing new in Hijack this logs.

Any ideas? Is ther a better app than Windows Task Manager?

Thanks

Re: CPU usage higher at idle.

Post a hijackthis log.

Huh? why? I was just updating how I resolved my issue of looking into resource usage.
Any ideas? Is ther a better app than Windows Task Manager?

By using the process monitor I was able to pinpoint the cause of my high use of resources at idle. It was my graphics card, and I had TCP/IP filtering enabled. which after updating my card and disabling filtering and netbios of tcp/ip I was fine.

I idle at 0% now with very infrequent 1% spikes

Here is my HJT log anyways. See anything abnormal?

thanks.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:32:32 PM, on 3/8/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\HJT\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Firewall Pro] "C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe" /background
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
O4 - Global Startup: Firefox Preloader.lnk = C:\Program Files\FirefoxPreloader\FirefoxPreloader.exe
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{C3B5D686-B2C3-490C-9F14-214F90192456}: NameServer = 4.2.2.2,4.2.2.1
O23 - Service: Comodo Application Agent (CmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: Eset HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Eset Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: HP Port Resolver - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\HPBPRO.EXE
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

There is nothing abnormal in your log at all. that is a great log.

Do you see what process is using the resources when it spikes? It is the system idle process? If so that should always be high as that just tells you that your system is idle. when i am doing nothing my system idle process is at 98 or 99%.

It could be that somehting is workign in the background. Like AVG or Comodo blocking something.

There is nothing abnormal in your log at all. that is a great log.

Do you see what process is using the resources when it spikes? It is the system idle process? If so that should always be high as that just tells you that your system is idle. when i am doing nothing my system idle process is at 98 or 99%.

It could be that somehting is workign in the background. Like AVG or Comodo blocking something.

Mak,

my original post was from May of 2007. I think it was process under "services and controller app" and "DPC" but I cannot remember now since it was so long ago. I just remeber tracking it down to my vid card and TCP/IP filtering and or netbios over tcp/ip

My system idles at 0% CPU usage pretty solidly now. Nod32 and Comodo do not become active unless a windows service does first otherwise they lay idle. At least from my observations of watching them for hours.

As I mentioned. the reason I was idling above the normal 1-2% was because of my tcp/ip settings and my video card.

Here is a screen shot right now showing my system idling at 100%

Okay. so it isnt that this is a issue but somthing you have resolved now. Correct? Just showing how you resolved this and what you used?

Okay. so it isnt that this is a issue but somthing you have resolved now. Correct? Just showing how you resolved this and what you used?

lol, correct/affirmative.

I myself hate it when I am troubleshooting a problem and find a thread somewhere with that same problem only to find that the OP never followed up etc.

I was reviewing all my old posts and updating them. I noticed nobody ever replied back to me last year. I think I may have solved it in another forum. However I only remembered using process explorer that helped me track down the culprits that were making my CPU usage abnormally high for a clean and idle system.

As you can see now my system is extremely lean and easy on resources. I could lean it up more by using Comodo 3 rather than 2 but 3 is still acting weird on my machine so the small improvement on resources in not worth it.

So now if someone is googling a similar issue they will find something more than just me posting a problem.

thanks.

Okay. Well thanks for posting back on how you fixed it and the stuff you used. It will be helpful. I wasnt sure if it was fixed or not cause Peter asked for a Hijack Log so i figured it was still wrong. :laughing:

If you wish i can change the title of the thread to *Solved* so that there will not be any confusion on this?

Okay. Well thanks for posting back on how you fixed it and the stuff you used. It will be helpful. I wasnt sure if it was fixed or not cause Peter asked for a Hijack Log so i figured it was still wrong. :laughing:

If you wish i can change the title of the thread to *Solved* so that there will not be any confusion on this?

Yeah it seemed Peter did not even read my post thoroughly..

yes please post as "Solved"

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom