System Idle Process bad behaviour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well SpeedFan from what i hear is good. I dont worry about my temps as i dont have any stock fans. I have all high end fans and my system is cool even under load. My GPU doesnt break the 50C mark at all.

As for active PCU loads. I dont know really.

Speedfan can be pretty inaccurate =P.

CPU: CoreTemp.
GPU: ATiTool or RivaTuner
All-around temps: Everest

I had stated that i only heard it was good. I have not used it before. :p

I do use RivaTuner. that does work but the nvidia control panel has a temp gague as well. :p

SpeedFan! That's the one I was using. I just tried it again now. Temps are fine. I also use RivaTuner, and the temps are fine too, nice and low.

Here's a little "before" and "after" of my temps and system load. This is from a fresh reboot, then playing 10 mins of Counterstrike (at 10fps :() then quitting Counterstrike.
-The process list is the same. No extra processes are left.

Load and temps Before
cpu%20usage%20and%20temps%20-before.jpg

Load and temps 5 mins After
cpu%20usage%20and%20temps%20-after.jpg

Processes Before (same processes as After, and similar memory and CPU loads for each...)
processes%20running%20before.jpg

As you can see from all this, once I've run Counterstrike, one of the cores never stops going at near 100%. Funny thing is no process in the Task Manager claims to be using even 1%. (that's why I mistakenly blamed System Idle Process).

...this is why this is so odd. I really have no answer. I will do those memory stress tests tomorrow. Hopefully they will reveal something.
Are there any CPU stress tests? Hot CPU Tester Pro 4?
I should also check all this with other games. I think Supreme Commander did something similar but I should double check.
grr this is spoiling my funs :dead:

CoreTemp and Everest? I'll give those a try too some time.

Thanks again!

Well you want System Idle Process to be at 98 or 99% as that means the system is idle. At elast when you are not playing the game. ;)

If it is that way when you are gaming then the problem is Steam. It isnt loading right.

Update: I've noticed that these symptoms occur when/ after I use just about any software, e.g. Firefox, Windows Media Player. I will run those tests.

CPU seems fine

I've put my old single core processor back in and it has the same issues.
It's almost unusable actually as its single core crunches less numbers than either core of my Opty 170. The lowest I can get the load down to during idle is a pathetic 81%.
It's just come back to me that the problem arose shortly after going back to my old BIOS chipset cooler. I can't remember if it happened immediately or after a few hours use but I think it was after a few hours.
The BIOS temp is fine though I'm guessing. How hot can BIOS get? Mine's about 43 C at idle I think.
Is BIOS something that can be reinstalled?
I pray I've not spilled some Arctic Silver somewhere bad, like onto the wrong parts of the chipset.
I think next I'll put my Opty back in, and change the RAM, and check my chipset looks ok. I might try disconnecting my RAID drives as they are controlled by the BIOS, and the BIOS refused to accept them with the new heatsink (hence I reverted back to the old one). Fussy BIOS perhaps.

Here's my temps. I think the chipset is where it says 'Core' at the bottom (how do I tell?).

What a saga...

chipset%20temp.jpg

Don't use SpeedFan; Terrible labels at times, and usually quite inaccurate (whatever my 'Temp 3' is in that program... it's currently -2C lol...). Use Everest Home: |MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20

As for CPU, use CoreTemp; it's usually just as accurate as your BIOS.

Also...did you 'strategically' place that speedfan window to block something out on your wallpaper, or are you just teasing the rest of us =P. xD

Nice one. You're quick!

Here are my temps with those. My CPU is 38 C, no doubt because it's going at 81%+. Motherboard (Chipset?) 36 C. Seems fine.

What that window covers can't be posted on a forum such as this :D
Just google Adriana Lima with safe-search off :p

Temps are fine then...
Still plenty for me to try.
Another thing I thought of trying was running the NVidia system optimizer thingy. Perhaps something with my bus speed has cocked up.

temps-224am.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom