Access Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinzyW

Beta member
I made it so people couldn't see the files on my acount and now I have a virus and i cant get windows to start. i tryed useing another computer to copy the files i want to save on my broken hard drive but i get an access denied error when i try to open my specific user setteings and documents. i was wondering if thier is a way around the block

Go into dos - With the second HD in your case - Type "D:" - or what ever your second hd is" then you should see the prompt now change to "D:\" then type "Attrib -h" Then you should be able to see your files again.

^ Did you try what i said?

It'll work. If you have subfolders on the drive then instead of "Attrib -h" type "Attrib -h /s"

AnGuiSh wht you have suggested is to change the file or folder attribute but then BinzyW is able to see the folder the only problem is it says access denied...

try this:
right click the folder -> open properties -> Click the Security tab -> Click the Owner Tab -> check the box replace owner on subcontainers and objects

restart the system and try opening the foder again

Layman:
I also had the same problem but I tried what u suggested but however on the directory properties I can't get the security tab you were talking about. I only got sharing , customise and general. I was wondering if going to dos and manually copying the files using dos will work....

Thats strange ghosty but then I'm sure about this, if windows does not allow you to open the folder in GUI mode... it will not allow you to do so in DOS mode too....
Work around is booting from Recovery Console and then copying the files... :)

Yeah the Recovery Console CD.... you could install it in your Windows startup menu by running the following command:

Start->Run->c:\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons

assuming that the i386 folder is copied in the c drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom