windows xp weird bootup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghosty

Baseband Member
Hi all...
I seem to have this problem booting up my computer where recenlty i installed the windows xp on. it seem that only if I put the windows xp CD in the drive and let the computer run the "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD" then I can actually boot up my computer where they will display 2 choices. Of booting up my XP on my C drive or my E drive. MY C drive xp is damaged which is why I had another XP on my E drive.

If i take out the windows xp from the CD ROM I just get a black screen with a cursor on the upper left hand corner. Anyone can help me with this... its really weird. I would like to add that the windows xp in E drive is a brand new one!

Just boot the system in safe mode and open the system properties (Right click "my computer" and click properties).. click on the advanced tab, click on Start up and Recovery -> on the top of the page there is System Startup box in which it gives up a drop down for Default Operating System -> Select the Newly loaded OS

Note : make sure that in the BIOS setup Hard disk is the first bootable device -> so that you'll not have to put the cd each time in the system

I alreayd set the default OS to the newly loaded OS but the new option screen still shows the 2 OS. I tried taking a look at the boot.ini file on the new drive (E:) and saw two options. ONe is rdisk(0) and the other rdisk(2) which one should I remove?

I tried to set the DVD room as the secondary start up drive in the BIOS but all I get is a black screen with a cursor at the upper left hand corner.

Looks like you have two drives on the system.....rdisk(0) is the one that you need to remove...

ya I removed it and it works..now it only boots up in the correct drive. But it still needs the stuipd CD...man I have no idea why...
anyway thanks layman

Try going to the BIOS setup by turning on the computer and then tapping the DELETE key. Once in this setup, go to boot, then change your first boot device to floppy. Exit and save changes. Make sure you do not have a floppy disk in the drive and everything should work fine. Sabastian

Sabastian:
I changed the bootup to the floopy drive first and my windows doesn't boot up man... it just gives me the black screen. I took a look at the disk manager and it says the C drive is a system drive and E drive (my SATA harddisk) is the boot drive. Well is there anyway to make C drive just a normal harddisk? not system or boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom