Need Some Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
I'm selling my B3 Q6600 and my DS3L

I'm taking the opportunity to get a G0 for $245 flat. My B3 sucks to the max, with a VID of 1.275, I need 1.55V+ to be able to get 3.6GHz stable... I might be able to sell it locally for $220

Now here comes the tricky part for me - choosing the board. I definitely want SLI now, even though I've been bashing it for quite a while now... so basically my choices are

680i LT
680i
780i

I'm not a RAID person and I could care less about a third PCI-E slot, and some missing USB ports... so the LT looks very appealing to me for $99... but what else have they cut back on the thing? Any overclocking options? Does it just not overclock as well as a regular 680i? What's the deal?

And also, what's the deal with 780i? Is it just added support for Yorkfields and PCI-E 2.0? Or does it actually have better overclocking features, stability, etc etc..

I might nab another GTS for $250 flat btw - :cool:

AnandTech said:
The only "current" chipset family that seems to have any questions at this time is the NVIDIA 680i SLI. This is not due to the chipset itself, but the designs of the motherboards that use it. Several of the original 680i SLI motherboards had to be revised for the Kentsfield family of processors to work correctly. Those that were not revised are subject to the supplier performing extensive qualification testing on their motherboards before official support is granted. Otherwise, it appears that only a BIOS update will be required to provide full support for the 45nm processors - basically the same requirement for most of the Intel chipset boards.

Motherboard Compatibility for Wolfdale and Yorkfield Processors

why are you selling a Q6600, it should be good enough for even the most avid gamer

why are you selling a Q6600, it should be good enough for even the most avid gamer

For benchmarking, my B3 Q6600 is really holding me back, it needs a lot of voltage to overclock and runs really hot, so I'm replacing it with a G0 stepping instead which runs much better, it's only costing me an extra $20 to do so... well worth it IMO..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom