XP wont load from HD or CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

netsurferdude2

Beta member
Well about 2 days ago, I go to my computer in the morning and it is shut off. I usually leave the computer in hibernation. I go to turn on the computer, it goes through the normal BIOS screen then comes some screen with some lettering, both of which are normal, then comes Windows. The Black windows XP screen appears with the little blue sliding/loading bar at the bottom.

This is where the magic happens.

Right when the windows screen ends, my computer usually would go to a flat black screen with a flashing little text/bar thing. After a few seconds it would then proceed to the Log in menu.

I said usually because this hasnt happened as of late. Instead, it goes to s flat black screen and just sits there doing nothing.

I thought my XP was bad so I put in the XP disc and want to repair it. I insert the disk and boot from it. It goes through all the loading of drivers and then comes to "windows is loading", "windows is starting" or something to that nature and stops there. It just sits with that written at the bottom of the blue screen. I let it sit for about an hour on one occasion. I tried this about 5 or so times.

It is not getting to the screen where it asks if you want to reinstall or repair windows. It doesnt make it that far. I even tried different windows XP discs. I started with a SP2 disc, then tried an SP1a, then an SP1. None of them worked, they all gave me this same problem.

My cousin knows more about computers and problems like this than I do so I ask him for advice.

He says, maybe the DVD drive is bad. So I open the box and unplug the power from the DVD drive and try booting from the HD. Windows wont start at all.
Now I go into the Setup screen before windows and rearrange my boot order so that the DVD rom never boots, just the HD does. Now I get that same problem as before. It stops after the windows screen.

Now he says do the same thing but keep the DVD plugged in but unplug the HD and just boot off the CD. I go through it all again and boot from the CD. BAM it happens again. It loads the drivers and stuff but stops when it says that windows is loading.

I took out all USB devices and replaced the keyboard with a PS-2 keyboard. Still the same, nothing different.

I dont know what to do. It wont load windows from my hard drive, it wont load windows off a windows XP CD.

We are thinking it is a problem with the motherboard which is a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard (AMD Socket AM2 CPU)

Any suggestions? Do you need any more info?

Thanks for the help

Could be overheating, could be a hard drive failure, could be bad RAM.

First the easiest thing to test is the RAM. Google for MemTest86 and get the LiveCD version and run it. See what that turns up.

Yes. MemTest86 is a bootable CD that you run.

If you can use another machine download SUPERGRUB DISK. Just do a google.
You then extract and make an iso image. Reboot making sure cd is set to boot first. Its pretty simple to use for both windows and Linux . If it can it will fix boot of Windows or it will boot he windows partition. Its only a small download and believe me it has saved me many times as i do a lot of multi-partitioning,deleting,resizing etc. You can only give it a go mate! But then if your getting a partial boot anyway i'm not so sure. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom