System Idle Process bad behaviour!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comdot

In Runtime
Simple question. Maybe not a simple answer.

"Why is my System Idle Process hogging my CPU *even when* I'm trying to use demanding programs?"

It started yesterday. I've tried rebooting to no avail. I also can't think of anything significant I've done to my software setup the last few days.

As I understand it, the System Idle Process is putting part of my CPU 'to sleep' so save power. The problem is- when I run a game, it keeps doing it, and I end up with 10 FPS. :eek:

Fixed

Problem solved.

...I flipped the power switch. Clearly there was something lingering in my... RAM?

so....are you saying your computer acts this way because you never usually turn it off? if so could be a 3rd party app that has memory leaks...or some game

if the above power thing is so...turn your pc off when you don't use it :p

I shut it down most days. This time I turned the power supply off itself. That's what I meant.
I've realised which application causes the problem. It's so beyond me to even start figuring out how to remedy this that i think i'll leave it, maybe wait for the update. I might go and post on their forums but then again it could be all down to my system.
(the app is called Steam, by Valve. Gamers will know this is the thing that loads Half-Life and Counterstrike etc.)
So... the problem isn't really solved as I first thought.

System Idle Process means that the CPU isnt being used. Which show me that the game was not being responsive to the system. Just shutting down Steam usually doesnt work cause it has other resources still running. In the task manger there is still the Steam process even if you close it. Have to really force it to close.

Why you had to shut down the PSU to get this to stop is not a good sign. A simple restart should have taken care of it. I would start doing some stress tests to find out if any of your hardware is dying.

Well first i would use a PXU calculator to make sure your PSU is powerful enough for your system. From there i would start with MemTest86 LiveCD and run that to test the RAM. After those you can start on things like benchmark tests to see how well your CPU holds up.

Is there software that can calculate the load on my PSU? I tried a web calculator where you fill in boxes, called eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5. It did say I'd want 458W.
I've burnt that MemTest85 CD, will try it.
I suppose I should buy a new PSU first off. But I'll try all the stress tests I can, first.

It looks as if that is the best one. It comes highly recommended. But as for a software version i do not know.

PC Power Supply Load Calculator

Maybe that? But if the website said you need over 400 and you have a 400W that could explain a few things. But yeah try the stress tests.

I will give that a go too. But is there no software that actually measures the load on your PSU throughout its use? Maybe I should just measure the power going to my CPU, mobo, graphics, RAM, hard drives and see if any of them get starved.
What's your favourite temp measuring software btw? I used to have a good one but deleted it and forgotten its name.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom