Ok i just build my new comp

AMD athlon 2600 xp+
512 3200 DDR Ram
80GB Harddrive
A7NZX Motherboard
ATI Radean 9200SE

Running On:

Windows XP Pro Version 2002

When i first started using my comp the blue tick (that moves through a cycle on the WIndows Xp loading screen) noly used to go by 6 or 7 times. bout 2 weeks later(2day) the tick has to go by 34 times in order to boot up. the only program i have that runs when my comp boots up is Norton AV 2004 and i havent really installed any big programs that would slow down my computer. Does anyone know of anyway i can speed up my boot process or is it better just to keep it the way it is...???

Thx

Go into your BIOS when your computer first starts up and make sure there aren't any other devices besides the ones you have listed as being start up devices. For example, if your computer is looking for a secondary hardrive and there isn't one, its going to slow your computer down.

Diable Boot Up Floppy Seek, direct boot from Hardisk, Enable POST, it might fasten a bit your boot up.
But i think there must be something with your OS.

Also realize that as you load more stuff onto your computer, its going to generally boot up slower. Download RegClean and then make sure there isn't any junk in your registry. If you have a lot of stuff in there it can clog down your boot up time.

I know but microsoft is updating home users with it.I also have it on a disc that works great on pro

First of all, Norton AV 2004 is notorious for causing slow system boot times. That piece of crap is a resource hog that will not only tripple your Windows XP bootup time, but it will take valuable memory and pagefile resources away from your games and hog them all to its itty bitty self. Second, should you get rid of Norton 2004 and switch to a different AV, try clearing your Prefetch folder. It will increase boot time dramatically. But, once again, as long as you have Norton AV 2004, expect long boot times.

I am with beedubaya... as prefetch folder causes windows to boot slow... now there are a few more things i'd like to add:

1. run msconfig and uncheck everything except for you AV in startup
2. under services tab in msconfig, check the box hide all microsoft services and uncheck the services that do not correspond to ur AV
3. disable the Indexing Service from windows - it boosts the file search speed but makes your windows go sluggish...
4. SP2 is definately something I'll advice...

I agree with Layman about going to msconfig. (Start -> Run -> msconfig.) Then go to the startup tab as follow Layman's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom