PC vs Console - CPU and Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, I think the PS3's processor is more powerful than current quad-cores, although much of its power goes to waste. I have however heard of scientists using multiple PS3s to process data instead of regular supercomputers, based on the ratio of performance to cost.

When it comes to graphics, most games are designed to run at 720p (1280 x 720), and are upscaled to 1920 x 1080 for display on capable TVs, so the resolution is lower than at what most PC games are run. Then there's also optimisation for the specific console hardware, which is much more difficult for PCs due to the myriad of configurations. Furthermore, most would sit at least 5 feet away from their TVs compared to 1-2 feet from their monitors.

The X360 however does have 10 MB of eDRAM, which helps its framerates while having full screen anti-aliasing enabled.

Currently, I think the PS3's processor is more powerful than current quad-cores, although much of its power goes to waste. I have however heard of scientists using multiple PS3s to process data instead of regular supercomputers, based on the ratio of performance to cost.

When it comes to graphics, most games are designed to run at 720p (1280 x 720), and are upscaled to 1920 x 1080 for display on capable TVs, so the resolution is lower than at what most PC games are run. Then there's also optimisation for the specific console hardware, which is much more difficult for PCs due to the myriad of configurations. Furthermore, most would sit at least 5 feet away from their TVs compared to 1-2 feet from their monitors.

The X360 however does have 10 MB of eDRAM, which helps its framerates while having full screen anti-aliasing enabled.

Agreed.

About the PS3s being used for scientific purposes:
Boffin stacks 16 PS3s to simulate black hole collisions | Register Hardware

I dunno, every time I've seen PS3 or Xbox 360 being played at stores on big HD screens it looks like poop. Fat jaggies and plain looking textures.

That's probably because the people don't know how to set them up and probably used regular RCA connections and not the HD connections. As far as the joystick vs keyboard and mouse issue. That is entirely a matter of opinion. I don't care what people say as far as "Oh a mouse and keyboard are more sensitive and gives faster responses," because I for one find it much easier and faster to use a controller. It just fits better than having your hands stretched all across a keyboard where you could press the wrong key entirely too easily. And as far as sensitivity goes, I use the highest sensitivity settings on console controllers which lets me spin and turn and aim very fast. Much faster than most of the PC gamer's sensitivities I see. Most often when PC gamers try to play console games, they are aweful because they aren't used to the ease of controls... but whenever I play PC games after playing dominantly console games, I find the controls easy to adapt to, and that the competition on PC online play is often easier than that of consoles (granted there are exclusions to that generality).

In my experience and with my play style it seems that the controller beats the keyboard and mouse every time.

It may be your personal preference, but I guarantee you that in a FPS shooter, even a mediocre player with a keyboard/mouse would beat someone else playing with the controller even if they were quite good.

That's probably because the people don't know how to set them up and probably used regular RCA connections and not the HD connections. As far as the joystick vs keyboard and mouse issue. That is entirely a matter of opinion. I don't care what people say as far as "Oh a mouse and keyboard are more sensitive and gives faster responses," because I for one find it much easier and faster to use a controller. It just fits better than having your hands stretched all across a keyboard where you could press the wrong key entirely too easily. And as far as sensitivity goes, I use the highest sensitivity settings on console controllers which lets me spin and turn and aim very fast. Much faster than most of the PC gamer's sensitivities I see. Most often when PC gamers try to play console games, they are aweful because they aren't used to the ease of controls... but whenever I play PC games after playing dominantly console games, I find the controls easy to adapt to, and that the competition on PC online play is often easier than that of consoles (granted there are exclusions to that generality).

WHAT? Controller better than a 2000DPI mouse?????

I really find that VERY hard to believe....matter of fact....mathematically impossible!....LOL

A keyboard and mouse will win this battle EVERY single time....I mean....come on....this is not even a close match.

Haha, well I guess it just depends on the skill level. Because I guarantee you that I could beat anyone on a console game even if they were using a keyboard and mouse. The main setback being the keyboard. If I could use a joystick to move and a mouse to aim and shoot then I probably would, but when it comes to very easy and precise navigation that doesn't require a bunch of key mashing, the controller wins. Aiming, the mouse is obviously a bit more precise, but I still feel that a person of my skill would easily compare to someone using a keyboard and mouse.

How can hitting a button be faster that hitting a BUTTON with a letter on it....dude...there is no need to use the whole keyboard....just what your left hand and fingers can reach quickly.....you need to try the keyboard again....this time assign your keys to fit your game....seriously, this is really not even a match if you take the best console gamer against the best player with a mouse and keyboard...then, well.....it would be a mercy killing :)

shadowrun anybody?

360 players got pwned by the circle tactics cause they couldn't turn fast enough.

also there is no way a controller could beat a mouse/keyboard. also keyboards are just like typing, there are usually 24 keys that you use not including shift/numbers/enter/special characters, and what you do is position your hands in a way that its easy to hit any key, and you practice and get more fluent at typing. keyboard gaming is the same way, you learn where they keys are that you need to use, customize the keys if necessary and you just "practice" and you don't miss often..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom