GA-965p-s3 broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberg

Baseband Member
Right, i have endless problems always coming down to my mothorboard.

My motherboard is a GA-965p-s3 and i am currently running it with a e6320 at 1.86 ghz. I used to have it overclocked, but since installed (and then removing) a USB expansion card it refuses to be overclocked OR underclocked - it just won't boot unless it's 1.86ghz.

I just bought a nice new e8400 (3ghz 45nm processor) and updated the bios so it supports 45nm, lovely! Doesn't boot though, the fans come on but thats all. I also tried my friends Q6600 which boots for about 10 seconds then shuts down - and only runs at 2.1ghz instead of 2.4.

Any ideas? I've emailed Gigabyte before and they have the worst tech support ever, they can't fix anything. I've just emailed them again and awaiting reply.

It's almost certainly the motherboard, and from what you say, I'm wondering if the bios update was corrupted. Try reloading the update, and if that doesn't work, try reloading an older version. If that doesn't work... is it still under warrantee?

Dan

Thanks for replying!

Well i updated the BIOS by jumping up one or two steps at a time, and each one seemed fine so im not sure its the actual BIOS. I'm currently contacting Gigabyte but they really like avoiding the point and asking me pointless questions.

If i had to buy a new one, would this be a suitable replacement?
ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

If there is a board for a similar price which is substantially better (and has support for the 45nm processors) it would be great if someone could let me know!

Hmm, the main UK sites i use don't seem to have that - as far as i can see, at least.

Why will it be the best motherboard? I will keep searching for it.

a) It supports a 1600fsb, which at this point is just overclocking but eventually will become standard.
b) 6 240-pin slots, all of which support DDR3. That means when any decent computer is expected to have 32GB of DDR3 memory, your motherboard won't have any trouble.
c) Plenty of 3GB SATA slots for RAID configurations if wanted
d) E-Sata port-a technology that will probably be a lot more common in the near future.
e) Internal wi-fi. Enough said
f) It's just a good board. It works well and it works fast. It's future proof and it's not ridiculously expensive.

Ok thanks. I have found it for £79 in the UK which i can just about afford at the moment.

Is there anything i should watch out for with this board? I have an e8400, 8800gts, 667mhz :( ram, sata hard disks and a 700watt power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom