HD question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolancer

Daemon Poster
is it better for an HD to be running all the time, or turned off wen possible like during nighttime for example?

um...well...lol. When off goes the pc off goes the HD, on goes the pc on goes the HD...i have my PC on all of the time. Sometimes through the night.

By "HD" I'm going to assume you mean the whole computer, and in my opinion I think it's best to turn it off at night. Because you'd have to restart it every once in a while anyway to clear the RAM and what-not or else it will get slow from all the programs eating up the RAM. Turning it off at night may also extend the life of the Hard drive.

I agree with Spartan 1394, u waste the electricity n slow down your system.

yes i do mean tuning off the the pc, not just the HD.. but refering to the effects on the HD only.

i was only asking cause, i thought maybe it was like this... better to leave it running all the time, so it doesnt need to go threw a start and stop process? or is it like a light bulb, were it lives mostly based on the mount of hrs? i also noticed it gets warm, so it might be better leaving it on so it experiences less heat cycles?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
to Spartan-- what u said is not true... im on a sorta old pc, 1.1celeron HP, 512sdram... and i have left this comp on for like over a year strait, restarting it sometimes of course only when for example installing something new, or turning it back on cause of a power outage... but i have actually experience the oposite of wat u said, after i restart it actually acts a little slower untill everything is loaded back up into memory... if u have programs eating up your memory, theres prolly something else rong with your system.

EDIT: i also have not found any reason y didi post at all in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom