Double the menus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldblackice

Beta member
I've scoured these forums and google till my fingers bled -- all I find is this complaint, but no solution:

When I right-click an icon in the bottom right corner of the taskbar, it's menu pops up, but the tasbkar menu also pops up, painting over it. If I mouse up and down the menu, it paints the rest of the taskbar menu on top, one line at a time.

I'm running a fresh install of XP SP2 on a Dell Inspiron e1505 using ati x1400 video card and drivers.

What's odd is that this wasn't a problem before i reformatted!

I'll get this at times too, although its not all the time, just at random occurrences. Only thing I've done to manage to get to the menu I want, is click on the expand arrow, so every icon spreads out, and then pull up the menu for the icon I want =\.

I am not sure i understand. Maybe a screenshot would help?

If what he's talking about is the same thing I'm experiencing (and it sounds like it is)...

taskbarcb4.jpg

That I believe is what he's talking about. I can get that if I click on the edge of some of my icons, but other times it'll be when I click in the middle of 'em.

That to me shows that the Icon sizes are larger than they appear as they are taking priority over the icon you are over. It happens on web pages where the HTML for a image is larger than the image and it rolls over onto other links and such.

As you said Carnage using the Show All Arrow should solve this. As for a permanent fix, i dont know off hand.

that's exactly what's happening, and the explanation of the icon sizes being too large makes sense, however, it happens even when clicked in the middle of them.

Does anyone else get this? If I left click on the taskbar first, and then right click on one of the icons, it never happens. When I left click on desktop, then right on icon, it won't happen. Then if I left again on desktop and then right on icon, it happens. Just trying to test to find out why and when it does this.

Anyway, I'm debating whether to use a friend's cd of xp to see if I get the same effect. Does this not happen with everyone? Could this be a solution?

Update: reinstalled XP with different cd. Same problem, however...

Tooltip fixer didn't work. But, I've realized that this problem only happens with gmail notifier icon, and ActiveSmart icon. Only these two program icons give the double menus, and they only give it after I've clicked a desktop/another window, then right click them. If I left click the taskbar first then right click the icon, it never does the double menu.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Why only those two program icons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom