Need Colder/Quieter/Better Case. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedMoDro

Beta member
Hello. I purchased a gaming computer a few months back. I have since had a bit of trouble with it. I am unable to get anyone on the phone at the company I purchased it from.

I am currently having to come out of pocket to correct the problems with the computer. One of the major problems I am having is heat. And that is what I hope to get some advice on.

I have decided that I want to get a different case for my system for several reasons. I don't believe it is large enough for my setup, it is too loud with the stock fans, I don't like all the blue lights, etc...

What I am looking for in a new case

Cooling and Quiet are my primary concerns

It is important to note that I live in South Florida and I normally have relatively high ambient temps. average 78-80 degrees F.

Very good air cooling and flow is the most important I think

As quite as possible with out sacrificing cooling
(willing to spend $$$ on good fans, suggestions for fans?)

Very quiet, not just fans, but noise from dives and vibration and such.

Less important considerations

Lots of room for HDD's and 5.25

Tool-less is a plus but not a deal breaker

Any suggestions on filtering dust and smoke? other than sticking an air purifier on my desk?

Modular/Adaptable is always cool. ex. 4in3, options for fans(mounts, etc) , removable hdd, or cages.

Don't want to break the bank but more than willing to do so

Not concerned with "frills" like lights or windows, a plus if there are fewer lights.

I have been looking different cases for sometime now and am overwhelmed. I have considered several CoolerMaster cases as well as countless others. Any advice on any of this would be greatly appreciated!

Current Setup

RaidMax Smilodon chassis

XFX Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX Extreme Edition

ASUS Striker Extreme Nvidia nForce 680i SLI

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0Ghz w/ Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooler

ThermalTake Toughpower 750W PSU

WD Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM (for OS and Games)

2 x 500GB Seagate 7,200 RPM (storage)

Hey NeedMoDro,
Welcome to Tech-Forums!!!

The Antec P180 series are very quiet, from what I hear. They use fans with variable speeds, and separate the case into three chambers to reduce the heat. It also has no lights, like you wanted.

Here's some of them:
Newegg.com - Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Newegg.com - Antec Performance One P180 Silver cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Newegg.com - Antec Mini P180 Black Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Retail

Some quiet fans I would suggest though, are Scythe S-Flexes, Noctuas, and Yate Loons.

Other than using an air purifier, there are dust filters for fans. Like:
Fan Filters : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

cool thanks, I'll check tho's out now!! The only antech I looked at was the 900. But I was concerned it was to small.

I was looking at the CoolerMaster Cosmos series but they have 4 different ones. Its hard to decide whats best.

Hey NeedMoDro,
Welcome to Tech-Forums!!!

The Antec P180 series are very quiet, from what I hear. They use fans with variable speeds, and separate the case into three chambers to reduce the heat. It also has no lights, like you wanted.

Here's some of them:
Newegg.com - Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Newegg.com - Antec Performance One P180 Silver cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Newegg.com - Antec Mini P180 Black Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Retail

Some quiet fans I would suggest though, are Scythe S-Flexes, Noctuas, and Yate Loons.

Other than using an air purifier, there are dust filters for fans. Like:
Fan Filters : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

I like the antec mid-towers, only problem is I will have to loose the middle HDD rack to fit the 8800GTX, are there any fulltowers you would recommend?

I would almost suggest a fanless approach by water cooling. Or you could go with this crazy ******* (if money isn't an issue!)

Zalman TNN300 Aluminum M-ATX Fanless mini Tower Case at ZipZoomfly

Other than that, the 3D Aurora I'm using is great and quiet, plus easy access to hard drives and plenty of space. The Cosmos would be my second choice.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE 3D Aurora 570 GZ-FA1CA-ASB Black 1.0 mm Aluminum body ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

I'm not quite ready to go liquid just yet(too many concerns)

That zalman case is nice but I don't think it'll work out with my space requirements, plus the price is a bit high.

NeedMoDro said:
I like the antec mid-towers, only problem is I will have to loose the middle HDD rack to fit the 8800GTX, are there any fulltowers you would recommend?
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
(One of the few mid towers approved tp fit GTXs in SLI, as well as Ultras in SLI.) Can also accommodate up to 7 x 120mm fans.

Newegg.com - XCLIO WTBK ADVANCED Fully Black Finish Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
Excellent cooling. 2 x 250mm side intakes, and a 1 x 200mm top exhaust. They shouldn't be loud, because they are rather large fans, with low rpms, but push out a lot of air.

Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-A70B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
High quality case. Has fan filters, and includes 6 x 120mm fans.

Thanks again. I have been looking at that P180 series... very very nice, I like the small things like the fully opening door and the silicone mounts. Antec makes quality stuff at good prices.

As you can tell I'm looking at different price ranges. Right now I'm leaning toward just bighting the bullet and buying the Cosmos S. (The original has heating probs btw)

One question, on the Lani Li case you suggested. Do you know if the internal middle fans will fit with the GTX? Its a big card and a lot of cases have problems with it. Especially with middle fans, even the Stacker cross-flow fan wont fit with a GTX. I looked for measurements of the case but could not find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom