Starting Clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWood20

Beta member
I would like to start clean and reformat and reinstall Windows 98 and then Windows XP upgrade onto my computer. However, I am unable to uninstall Windows XP. I'm starting to feel that no matter what I do, Windows XP just doesn't want to go away.
I am also not able to format my C: drive. I have two HDDs and I was able to format my secondary HDD. I do have my Windows 98 CD, that was used to install the OS when the computer was built. I also have my Windows XP CD that was used to upgrade my OS. I do not however have a FDD. So using a boot disk on a floppy isn't possible.

Basically I'd like to know what the easiest way is to wipe out my hard drives and start all over. I don't care about anything that is on my either of my hard drives. I have tried all of the convential ways of formatting HDDs. I just want to have that "new" computer feel again. Thanks.

Use your Windows XP CD and wipe your HDD and clean install. You will get a much better installation of XP if you do it that way, then if you install 98 first and then upgrade.:D

This is a common misunderstanding. Just because you possess the upgrade version of an operating system, doesn't mean that you can't do a clean install. If you attempt to do a clean install off of an upgrade CD, the setup program will ask you for your previous version of Windows CD, to prove that you qualify for the upgrade. Other than that, installing off of an upgrade CD is the same as installing the full version.

that was informative beedubaya... thanx.

But may be TWood20 had tried to format the hdd after booting it from the win98 cd.... would like to know if while upgrading you converted the file system to NTFS, if yes then Fdisk or Diskpart is a good conventional method of going for clean boot...

NOTE: you could actually do the whole thing in a simple way with upgrade disk like beedubaya had discribed

Hey you've all been very helpful. What I wound up doing was using my Windows XP CD and doing a clean install. I am now up and running, and although it took some time to get set up the way I wanted things, it's nice to have a clean and organized system. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom