PC vs Console - CPU and Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
Ok, I have always wondered a few things:

1. How can a console, with its 256MB graphics chip, look so amazing on even the biggest of TV's?

If you try to put a 256MB graphics card in a computer, you sure won't be able to do much with a monitor any bigger than 20" or so.

2. Just how does the console processors and computer processors compare?

I have always wondered how the graphics with my 360 and PS3 as well as the overall playability and good features are all run with either 256 or 512MB of memory. Is the PS3 processor really an amazing powerhouse? Or would it be smoked by a PC processor?

I realize that the graphics on the PC are still better than console, but consoles are looking VERY amazing lately and with the lower budget to everything in one purchase makes them very good for gamers these days.

Let me know if anyone knows the difference or how these two stack up (consoles vs PC's).

Console games are created knowing the EXACT specs they need to optimize for. PC games have to be coded to run on a vast array of machines. Also, consoles run much lower resolutions than most pc games.

1. I believe they use some very advanced expensive memory. I think it was XRAM or something similar to that.

And also that their operating system is specially and specifically designed just for gaming, and nothing else. Which is why all the games have good framerates and such.

2. I think the PS3's processor is more powerful, but hasn't been taken full advantage of. Although with PC processors increasing cores every year, PC processors will be more powerful.

In terms of graphics, the 360 and PS3 have nothing on the current GeForce 8 and 9 series, as well as the HD 3000 series.

Not sure if I'm 100% right, but that's how I understand it. Please feel free to correct me.

If you want to save money though, for gaming, get a gaming console instead. So you don't have to worry about upgrading just to play the latest games.

Building, Buying, or Upgrading High Performance PC Systems not the PC Gaming / Console gaming !!! People post stuff in correct forums please.

I am very sorry about the incorrect forum, but I figured as I was comparing the two (high performance cpu's and graphics cards) for different things that it fit best here. Feel free to move it though.

Also, don't console graphics cards go up to 1920 x 1080 which is very comparable to PC graphics card resolutions, especially that of a 256MB card. PC cards support up to 2560 x 1600 but most people don't go much higher than 1440 x 900 do they?

I guess that pretty much answers my question, though. Lucky for me I have all the things I need. All the consoles, and a good Laptop. I still need to build myself a good desktop soon.

I am very sorry about the incorrect forum, but I figured as I was comparing the two (high performance cpu's and graphics cards) for different things that it fit best here. Feel free to move it though.

Also, don't console graphics cards go up to 1920 x 1080 which is very comparable to PC graphics card resolutions, especially that of a 256MB card. PC cards support up to 2560 x 1600 but most people don't go much higher than 1440 x 900 do they?

No, in fact a lot of people who are serious about gaming are playing at resolutions of 1680x1050 or 1920x1200. Most console games are optimized for 1366x720, the 1920x1080 versions are usually just upscaled from the 720p graphics.

The size of a tv doesn't affect the performance. A 50" screen would run at the same frame rate as a 19" if running the same resolution.

I hate to be the one to mention this, but... crysis is a good example of what the computer is capable of. PC's have awesome multiplayer games, something I've never seen on consoles. Whenever one is attempted it usually ends up having people going nuts over it.

The console could replace computer gaming for good if they made servers instead of these "parties", made online free, and made the ability to have custom made maps. Halo was a good attempt though.

ive played COD on both the ps3 and the computer.. and i like the online better on the ps3, it is simplified and in my opinion faster

BLASPHEMY! I saw CoD4 playing at virgin records and the graphics were not good at all compared to on my PC.

Also keyboard+mouse > joypad for shooters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom