Strange Laptop Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboyo

Beta member
Hi, I recently had to reformat my compaq presario 2195us as I had an issue when playing video files that I couldn't resolve (it would freeze after a couple of seconds playback while the audio continued, trying to stop or close the media player would result in a complete system freeze no matter what player i used)

After reformatting I installed winxp pro which solved the video issue, however now my computer seems to go into fits every now and again - the cpu fan will rev to full, everything slows down to snails pace and when I benchmark the computer in this state it performs very badly indeed, it seems to be about 30% as powerful as it should be, however when I benchmark it when its not being slow everything seems fine.

To do away with the simple suggestions, I have checked for background processes and there is nothing that seems to be causing this, I have ended them all except vital system ones and it doesn't help. I have also scanned for viruses and found none - and even when its playing up, task manager reports plenty of system resources free and an almost idle processor.

If anyone has any idea what the problem might be i'd be very grateful for some help as it is really starting to annoy me!

On a laptop it might be that it is overheating so it needs to rev the fan so loud. Touch where the power supply is and where the battery is and see if it is hot when the fan is really loud.

It does get hot yes, but it always has done and it worked fine for 6 months. In addition to this problem my video playback problem has also come back - a couple of months ago I downloaded a video clip that refused to play on my computer and would crash most things that I used to try and run it.

When I tried to delete this file it kept saying that it was currently in use and could not be deleted, even after I just rebooted my computer and there was clearly nothing using it. To solve this problem I found a program to force delete files (as I thought it might be malicious even though the virus checker thought it wasn't) before windows loaded the sharing and file access information - it got rid of the file but I have had numerous video playback issues since. What will happen is with DVDs playback freezes and the sound continues (I can make it catch up with itself by going full screen and back again but it still freezes again) and with all other media files playback of the picture will stop after a second or two and the sound will continue, then my computer will totally freeze up if I try to close the player or stop the movie.

My system is a Compaq Presario 2195us with 64mb shared memory ati card. If anyone knows anything that could help I would appreciate it a lot!

if it is overheat then try a cooling dock. Its pretty much a pad that you hook like a port rep and it has several fans in it for xtra cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom