Gaming Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I'm planning to build myself a PC for gaming. Basically, I want to be able to play Call of Duty 4 at max settings, and Crysis on somewhere between medium to high settings (the higher the better).

I have a budget of about $1200 (my actual budget is about $1500 but I need a monitor as well). I know enough to build my own computers but I haven't been in the PC gamin world for a while so I'm not up to date on the latest parts and technology and thats why I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm only ordering off Tigerdirect.ca (if Newegg.com ships to Canada, thats fine too), unless theres a perfect part that I can only get somewhere else.

I am hoping for 3GB of RAM, an Intel e8400 (open to suggestions though), and a Geforce 8800GTS. Hard drive size is not an issue as long as it's over 300GB, but it needs to be a fast hard drive. I don't need anything fancy for a case, just something that will be a good solid case and fit the motherboard that you guys suggest.

So, any build suggestions?

Thanks for the advice.

What do you guys think would be the better way to go, between the Intel Q6600 or the E8400?

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S610EPS EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail 130

Newegg.com - XFX PVT88PYDD4 GeForce 8800GT XXX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail 260

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail 62

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM 120

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail 135

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 16X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM 26

Newegg.com - Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heatsink - Retail 60

Thermalright HR03 GT Universal Video Card Cooler - (Nvidia 8800 GT & Others) - FrozenCPU.com 56

Thermalright HR-05/IFX Heatpipe Chipset Cooler - FrozenCPU.com 25

SilenX 120x120x25mm - 14dBA - 72CFM iXtrema Pro Blue LED Fan with Fluid Dynamic Bearings (IXP-74-14B) - FrozenCPU.com 23

SilenX 80x80x25mm - 14dBA - 32CFM iXtrema Pro Blue LED Fan with Fluid Dynamic Bearings (IXP-54-14B) - FrozenCPU.com

SilenX 92x92x25mm - 14dBA - 42CFM iXtrema Pro Blue LED Fan with Fluid Dynamic Bearings (IXP-64-14B) - FrozenCPU.com

XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor 2.40GHz OEM, Corsair TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 Memory (2 x 1024MB) at TigerDirect.com 380

that with about 60 bucks for shipping

if you wanna save a lil money you can change some of the cooling esp if you dont plan to overclock also there is an extra set of ram in there that isnt necessary but recomended over the one that comes in the packaged deal

my total was 1372 including shipping if you have monitor now i would use it for the time being and step your components and cooling up and upgrade the monitor later

I don't plan on doing very much overclocking (if I would go with the Q6600 over the E8400 I might though).

Also, would it be worth it to go with the 8800GTS over the 8800GT?

well if you dont plan to overclock anything but the cpu you could do with out the north bridge cooler that is in my build and the fan that goes with it and that is about 75 80 dollars right there.. and as of now the gt can be overclocked to out preform a gts and almost get on the performance level of a gtx at medium high resolution settings...

i forgot to ask last time but what do you all ready have that you can use for this build... i.e. a monitor, mouse, keyboard ect

ddepends what gts you mean, if you mean the 512 g92 it will oc better then a 8800gt 512

yea.. but ppl have been saying they are having heat issues when they overclock... nothing a heat sink cant solve but yea

i forgot to add thermal paste to that list cuz it was the list i made for myself.. but yea get some good thermal paste for the cpu cooler... really helps lower temps

As for what I already have, the only thing I have is a monitor but it's fullscreen not widescreen and I was hoping to go widescreen.

For the 8800GTS, the g92 (evga to be specific) was the one I had in mind.

Also, I noticed that the motherboard in that bundle deal says it doesn't support PCIexpress 2.0, does that mean the 8800GTS g92 (which appears to be PCIe 2.0) wouldn't be compatible?

it is compatible ... 2.0 has insane bandwidth... and the 1.0 or x16 has insane bandwidth as well... while the difference in bandwidth between them is large you would never know the difference since nothing on the market today requires that kind of bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom