Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

patto

Beta member
I'm having trouble installing XP SP2. Ive had to reinstall xp due to other problems, and didnt remember to save a copy of the SP2 upgrade.

after downloading SP2, the installation wizard failed to load, after rebooting, ive checked the add/remove programs to find that all SP 2 upgrade items ARE installed, though when I check the system properties, the version of windows is still SP1. Ive been looking all over the web for similar problems but have not found much. This was very close: <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=c747622a-60f1-4fa0-a28a-12fbbfb6fb12&cat=en_US_56d1dd45-de9e-4fc5-9bc1-2d1d0de6daee&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1>Q327101</a>,
i have followed the steps but still the setup wizard will not appear.

Any suggestions??
i use windows xp 2002 service pack 1

sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, i just couldnt find it.

--patto

thanks for that makaveli, i may not be understanding you but, ive already downloaded service pack 2, and it seems to be installed, but hasnt registered in system properties, or when im trying to install new versions of messenger and media player...

Have you restarted and allowed Windows to finish the updates it has to during the restart?

yeah, i think the initial problem was described in the link i posted first, having bootXP installed and it altering the kernal, so i reversed everything i had done with bootXP, uninstalled it, and rebooted, it started to do something and when next looked at the screen it was gone, with no error messages so i assumed it had finished what it needed to. but still it wont register as SP2...

Uninstall SP thru the Add/REmove programs menu. Make sure to check the Show updates box. After that try to reinstall SP2.

Yes slipstreaming would be the best option. But i doubt if they want to format and re-install yet again. ;)

I understand that but now would be the best time as they have not customized xp yet.

True. But at the same time SP3 will be coming out soon as well. Could just wait till then and add that in and have a even more complete disc.

I plan on doing that. Can't wait for SP3 to be released. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom