building my new rig, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on the fans it doesn't matter where they are connected at?

On the GPU, do I have to use the power cable that came with the card or just use the one coming from the PSU?

Also on the ATX_12V(2x2 12V power connector), I have 2 coming off my PSU, one says cpu_1 and the other says cpu_2. Does it make a difference which one I use? And why is there 2 of them? Is it possible to have 2 cpu's in one machine?

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to do things right.

What about the cd_in connection. The motherboard says connect the audio cable that with the dvd drive. My dvd drive did not come with any cables.

So on the fans it doesn't matter where they are connected at?
Affirmative.

On the GPU, do I have to use the power cable that came with the card or just use the one coming from the PSU?
You can use either, but it's best from the PSU.

Also on the ATX_12V(2x2 12V power connector), I have 2 coming off my PSU, one says cpu_1 and the other says cpu_2. Does it make a difference which one I use? And why is there 2 of them? Is it possible to have 2 cpu's in one machine?
That's if the motherboard has an 8-pin CPU power connector. The DS3L only has a 4-pin CPU power connection, so just use the CPU_1.

It is possible to have 2 CPUs in one motherboard, but those are dual socket motherboards. Mainly for servers, and they're highly expensive.

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to do things right.
No worries. That's what the members are here for. Ask away.

What about the cd_in connection. The motherboard says connect the audio cable that with the dvd drive. My dvd drive did not come with any cables.

It's not necessary, unless you listen to music via CDs in your DVD drive. And if your DVD drive has a headphone jack in the front of it.

I think I am almost done for tonight. Just a few more questions.

There is a group of single wires that is labeled IEEE 1394. What are these and where do they go? I think they might be for the firewire but what is firewire? The connection I'm talking about is on page 21 of the case manual.

Also after I get everything hooked up, would it hurt anything, since the CPU is not installed, if I tried to turn it on to see if everything is hooked up right or would I be able to tell?

I think I am almost done for tonight. Just a few more questions.
Thank god...lol jk...

There is a group of single wires that is labeled IEEE 1394. What are these and where do they go? I think they might be for the firewire but what is firewire? The connection I'm talking about is on page 21 of the case manual.
Yes, it's for firewire. You don't need to plug it in, if you're not going to use it. USB is more commonly used now a days.

Also after I get everything hooked up, would it hurt anything, since the CPU is not installed, if I tried to turn it on to see if everything is hooked up right or would I be able to tell?
HALT!! Please do not do that..lol..

If I did plug it in, where would I plug it into? Do all motherboards support firewire?

Okay I won't turn it on until I get the processor installed. I figured that wouldn't be a good idea.

The manual doesn't mention about firewire, so I'm guessing this motherboard doesn't support it.

Okay, that is what I figured. What exactly is firewire anyways?

Thanks for the help. I am going to get a shower now and go to bed. I will be back tomorrow. See ya later:)

what does the connection on the end of your firewire expansion bay look like? is it really thin and black? if so you have a sata to firewire conversion unit

heister, I don't know what you mean.

Here is a pic of what it looks like with everything hooked up except the CPU:
100_1082.jpg

I know it looks like a mess doesn't it. I am going to start trying to make it look neater. Is there anything that doesn't look right? On the hard drive and dvd drive, should there be just 2 cables connected to each one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom