help!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

u8mypaygoo

Baseband Member
hi yallz
I'm having major problems with my comp. can anyone help me figure out the problem?
O.k here it is...
... I have a hp pavilion 7950 CPU. we just loaded windows XP on it. ok so...when i turn on the computer it takes about 3 minutes and 25 sec. for the icons to show up. and about another 25 sec. for the computer be ready to use. it loads pretty slow. it started up in about 5 minutes today. we have McaFee to help alert us of trojans and all that. we get almost non stop pop-ups. i do disk disfragment at least once a month. Can it be that my hard drive is about to crash? or that my processor is a bit fried??

can you please help me???¿¿¿

thank you
u8mypaygoo

1. I've always been told that when you upgrade a OS, you do a clean install first. That supposedly prevents most problems like this.

2. Sounds to me like you have spyware at a minimum, and possibly viruses as well. I've been told that McAffee is not the best AV software in the world. I would suggest that you install Spybot and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. You can get them from download.com. Also, there are two online virus scans that I would suggest that you run.

You can get the Trend Micro AV scan here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

You can get the Panda AV scan here: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

@ hilowe - why do you think he upgraded to xp pro??

@ u8mypaygoo - a clean install is when you install an operating system straight, without upgrading it. for example if you had win98 and upgraded it to xp, hilowe is saying that thats not a good idea, which is true.

xotix: Look at his first post. It says he just loaded XP on the machine. Which version shouldn't matter.

u8mypaygoo: Yes, I do all of those scans about once a week or once every other week, depending on how much free time I have. Also, something else I just thought of. Is your XP up-to-date? You may have to go to window's update.

thank you hilowe.

do you know how to stop noises from the computer. I have a hp pavilion 7950 CPU.it always makes a rumbling noise. it never stops.I think its coming from the power or whatever cuz the power outlet is there.theres a bunch of wires coming out of it. a few to the hard drive and the rest to the motherboard.

can you please help me??

U8mypaygoo

Your computer working better now?

Not too sure about the rumbling noise. But since it's probably hardware related, you would probably have better luck asking in the hardware forum.

Alright this is actually very simple...

1. Make sure that your system specifications can handle windows xp. Click here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

2. Make sure that you pay a visit to www.windowsupdate.com to make sure that your OS is up to date with current critical and other updates as well...

3. Download Spybot Search and Destroy and also download ad-aware (both can be downloaded on www.download.com). Then make sure that you update both of those programs. Then scan using those one at a time. Get rid of anything it catches.

4. Then make sure you are doing a full system scan and possible run an online scan somewhere.

5. Make sure that you have all the updates for your antivirus program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom