building my new rig, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
b1gapl, on the power led, correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe that it plugs into the msg. There is a 3 prong connection beside the msg connection that says pwr led.

Sorry if I am being a pain but could you explain to me how you know which wire is positive and negative? I did not see anything in the book telling which wire is positive or negative. I seen where it told which pin is positive or negative on the motherboard.

Also on the fans, why do they have 2 molex plugs, 1 female and 1 male?

b1gapl, on the power led, correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe that it plugs into the msg. There is a 3 prong connection beside the msg connection that says pwr led.
Read my note, I mentioned before:
b1gapl said:
Note - It looks like it won't fit, unless you cut the plastic in the middle, separating the wires. Although I don't think it's necessary to plug in.
It is not a 3 prong next to the MSG, it's a 2 prong. Theres two prongs for the MSG, and two prongs for the PW. It's just that the case's wires are different. Which is why that 3 prong POWER LED has to be cut, in order for it to match on the motherboard.

Sorry if I am being a pain but could you explain to me how you know which wire is positive and negative? I did not see anything in the book telling which wire is positive or negative. I seen where it told which pin is positive or negative on the motherboard.
I know from experience, and trial and error. I've built so many computers, that I don't have to remember which is positive or negative. You'll learn that, once you've handled PC components more often.

Also on the fans, why do they have 2 molex plugs, 1 female and 1 male?
It enables the daisy chaining of fans. In other words, you are able to connect more than 1 fan together, and then plug them into a single molex cable coming from the power supply.

I don't know if we are talking about two different things, but next to the msg connection, there are 3 prongs going vertical for the power led. That is what I have plugged into. Unless I am reading it wrong. I might take a pic of it and post it here if it comes out okay.

I'm basing my explanation according to that picture I posted. And it came from your motherboard's manual.

Pictures would be a great help.

Ok here is a pic of it. Sorry about the quality but I think you can tell what I am talking about.

wires1.jpg

What is circled in red is for the power led.

Oh ok. That clears things up. The manual did not cover that with the front panel connector section. But I just noticed that, in the beginning of the manual. So connect the POWER LED wire, to that 3 prong. The manual does not say which is positive or negative, so you're going to have to do this by trial and error. Plug it in one way, and if it doesn't work out, do it the other way. There's only two ways to plug it in.

I knew I wasn't going crazy. You kept on telling me something different, I though I was losing it.

Could I damage anything plugging it in wrong?

On the fans, there are 2 that plug into the motherboard. Which one goes on which one?

Thanks for all your help.

I knew I wasn't going crazy. You kept on telling me something different, I though I was losing it.
Yea...the motherboard manuals aren't exactly clear, in the instructions that they give.

Could I damage anything plugging it in wrong?
With the POWER LED? No. The worst that could happen, is the power LED not turning on.

On the fans, there are 2 that plug into the motherboard. Which one goes on which one?
It doesn't matter which sys_fan slot they're plugged into. And you do have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU_FAN, right?

Thanks for all your help.
No problem.

It doesn't matter which sys_fan slot they're plugged into. And you do have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU_FAN, right?

There are 3 connections, sys_fan1, sys_fan2, and pwr_fan. Does the fan on the front of the case plug into the pwr_fan connection? As for the CPU fan, I don't have the CPU installed yet. Still trying to find one. I don't think I will have a problem putting it in though. Looks like there is plenty of room to work. I guess if I have to I will take the motherboard off and install. I'm hoping I won't have to. If I do, that will be a lesson learned the hard way.

Yea...it's easier to install the CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM first, into the motherboard. And then putting it all in the case.

The front fan can connect to any of those three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom