Screen goes black....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr DMoney

In Runtime
I have just recently installed ubuntu on my computer. This is the first I have used a linux kernel for an OS, so I have no idea on what to do. I had problems installing it, but it turned out to be a bad disk. It had a few errors. That was a headache!!!
Now I finally have it installed. Completely on the HDD. I had to use the text install because I was having the same problem that I am having now. The screen goes completely blank when I startup. It boots to grub to start linux, but then goes completely blank. Is there a way to fix this. If you need to know my computer hardwares specs here they are:

Motherboard: Asus P5b Deluxe Wi/Fi
Ram: DDR2-800 G.Skill 2x 1gb (Soon to be 2x2gb)
Video: Nvidia Evga 8800gts 640mb
HDD: Western digital 250gb 7200rpm
CPU: Intel C2D e6600 @ 3.15 & 1.4125v

*Note*
I have used different monitors to try to figure ou the problem. I used a 22" WS LCD monitor, and the screen goes black, but doesn't turn off. I also used a older CRT monitor with a VGA to DVI converter. Used it before on this computer with Dual screen.

So can anyone please help ASAP!

Was the install 'clean' in the end or did you skip lots of errors?

I'd suggest a fresh install with a good set of disks.

On the last install I had not one error. It was clean. I was having problems before. Used the regular disk, and when i entered the install the screen went black.
I then used the alternative disk. The thing is that my first disk was bad so I got errors.. The new disk I did today had no errors. I checked the Cd integrity before installing. It was perfect.

When you turn the computer on and the Grub boot list shows up select the Recovery Mode option. Should be the second one down in the list. Once it's done booting type in the following:
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

It will now take you through a setup "wizard" type of thing that will allow you to configure video card, drivers, monitor, resolution, etc. When it asks to autodetect the card, say no. Do the manual option and select "vesa" for the driver. Everything else should be self explanatory after that. Once that's done, reboot the machine and boot into the normal Ubuntu option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom