Tips for cleaning computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merlin

Daemon Poster
Yo guys, well the inside of my 'puter is gettin dirty:p The fans have dusts on the blades, the 9800 Pro has dust on its capacitors(mainly do to the stupid fan blowing right at it:p ) and the stock Intel heatsink/fan is dusty along with the mobo chipset heatsink/fan:confused:

The PSU, general area of the mobo, RAM, HD, optical drives and cables are clean though:confused:

So what tips do you guys have for dusting of my rig;) :)

Right now its kinda getting alittle warm in there...... 37 degrees system and 45 degrees CPU at moderate useage:confused: So I just wanna clean it off to see if the temp drops:)

I like to use that duster in a can stuff. when i use it, i get out the vacuum cleaner and try to suck the dust away as it is blown off the computer components. That way the dust doesn't just settle back on to the components. :)

That reminds me of a couple questions, I hope you don't mind TheMerlin :) How often is dusting out your computer recommended? Also, where can you purchase the canned air stuff?

I used compressed air for the inside of my case. I found at staples for 30 bucks they have a small handheld vaccuum that can both be used to blow and suck up any dust on the inside of your case/keyboard/etc. Also at stores like staples and office depot and I'm sure wally world, they have cleaning packages for like 10 dollars which includes anti-static screen cleaner and multipurpose cleaner along with antistic cloth.

I usually take my fans apart at least once every 2 weeks or so and wipe the blades off with some iso. alcohol and especially get the dust off the fan grills.

A few months ago, i remember one of the MOD's responses (MicroBell?) who said he uses a clean paintbrush to loosen any substanial pieces of dust and then uses the aircan to blow it out. I never thought of using he paintbrush idea... very useful.

It should be small enough that you can fit it inside the tight spaces, between PCI cards etc.

I'd buy some compressed air. No more than 6 psi. Also, you want to make sure that you hold the spay nossle at least 12 to 18 inches from the equipment, because spraying too close can cause moisture which could damage your equipment. Hope this helps.

Take it to those do it yourself car wash and use foam bath setting on the wand .That will clean it out nicely hehe :).
Actually i have a Shop with alot of air pressure . I hold the blow gun at about 4 feet away and it cleans every piece of dust out of the the whole system in a few short air burst (with caution.)

hehe yea you have to watch for moisture . My seperater works good plus i test it before i spray the CP. Even if it did release some moisture i allways let it set overnight just to be sure.
It does a superb job :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom