damn sata drive! help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

busa_4

Baseband Member
i am trying to install a sata drive as a hard drive. i have a sata compatable motherboard with sata1 and sata2. i insert the windows xp cd rom and everything is fine until i hit f6 for sata/raid controller install. i inserted the floppy as the other thread i have been following has described but it still doesnt recognize my sata drive. the other post stated that i should use my mother board floppy to install but i dont have a floppy its a cd rom. i was using the floppy that came with the sata drive but it wont recongnize it.
definitley lost :confused:

i want to use the chipset drivers but it is on a rom and when i put it in the rom the computer does nothing. it requires a floppy only.

here's what i found, it's pretty stupid if you ask me because what if you don't have access to another computer?

Installing Windows OS into the Serial ATA HDD If you want to use the Serial ATA HDD and install OS into it, please follow the initial step before proceeding to the next procedure. Initial step (do this using another computer)
1. Insert the Motherboard Support CD into the CD-ROM.
2. Insert a floppy disk.
3. Follow this path E:\RAID\VIA\/DriverDisk\SATA\
4. Copy all files and directories to the floppy disk(i added my thoughts here.... to do this type in wihtout the quotatitons,
"copy *.* a:\"
5. Keep your floppy disk ready. Continue the steps below. Please follow the steps below to install the VIA VT8237 Serial ATA driver
-----
1. Boot system from OS installation CD.
2. Press F6 when the message appears “Press F6 if you need to install third party SCSI or RAID driver”.
3. Insert the floppy disk.
4. Depending on your OS, choose the device drive according to your OS.
5. Press Enter to start the device driver installation.
6. Run setup.exe (E:\RAID\VIA) after OS has been installed.

----

also, it looks like they made a typo in the directory of the sata drivers so if this directory doesn't work, E:\RAID\VIA\/DriverDisk\SATA\
then try this one
E:\RAID\VIA\DriverDisk\SATA\

---ryan

mine just worked fine with out a floppy disk(i dont even have a floppy drive) just hooked my sata hdd to sata 0 and for some MB make sure that u dont have the cdrom in ide1, on mine i could have it in ide1 but on msi MBs it wont work so u have to put it in ide2 this only happens coz bios think the cdcom is the hdd and windows will ask for a floppy. after that just put windows in the cdrom drive and it should work....well it worked for me:)

i have searched the cd the motherboard came with and i looked up the d:\RAID\VIA\/DriverDisk\SATA\ and all the os show up in the file. do i only copy the sub file named xp to the floppy or do i have to copy the complete file d:\RAID\VIA\/DriverDisk\SATA\
onto the floppy. does 1 os file complete the other or do i just need the xp file driver?
thanks
joe

Had the same Prob w/ abit nf7 board had to send it back RMA, due to the SATA controller faulty.

i loaded the xp driver and tried to install it when i selected f6 and it said there is an error. there are seven seperate files that come up under D:\raid\via\/driverdisk\sata
which ones do i need to install on the floppy? they are listed below:

2003ia32
win98-me
win2000
winnt40
winxp
TXTSETUP.OEM
vt8237

i only loaded the file named winxp to the floppy and it came up as an error. what other of the 7 files do i need to include?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom